Stick insects

ofek

Did anyone try to feed his leos with stick insects (e.g. Baculum extradentatum)? does anyone know their nutritional value?
thanks!

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I've never tried them, but here is one analysis from the European Zoo Nutrition Center:
Most insectivores maintained in captivity are fed a limited variety of species that have been raised on grain-based diets, comprising primarily the larvae of meal beetles (Tenebrio molitor or Zophobas morio), crickets (Gryllus sp.) of various instars, and the larvae of the wax moth (Galleria mellonella). Almost all published reports of invertebrate composition demonstrate them to be a poor source of calcium (Anderson, 2000; Klasing et al., 2000), with an imbalanced Ca:p ratio. Chemical analysis of silk moth larvae (Bombyx mori) and stick insects (Baculum extradentatum and Eurycantha calcarata), raised on a diet of white mulberry (Morus alba) leaves, revealed high Ca concentration (silk moth larvae 0.9%, gravid female stick insects >2% Ca, dry matter (DM) basis) as well as Ca:p ratios >1:1. Similar to other insects analyzed (Dierenfeld et al, 1995; Barker et al., 1998), carotenoids were present but minimal or no vitamin A activity was detected in extracts from these samples. In contrast, vitamin E concentration was high (>450 IU/kg DM) in both silk moth larvae and stick insects. Mulberry contains high levels of Ca and vitamin E (Dierenfeld et al., 1990; Zootrition, 2001), and may be a good source of these nutrients for herbivorous invertebrates. Dietary fibre (measured as neutral detergent fibre) ranged from moderate to high (12 to 50% of DM in silk moth larvae and stick insects, respectively), and encompassed ranges reported for different life stages of invertebrates consumed by anteaters and other insectivores in nature (Redford & Dorea, 1984; Oyarzun et al., 1996). Fibre has been shown to provide energy to insectivores, and promotes improved fecal quality and gastrointestinal health (Graffam et al., 1998).
Additionally, the dietary bulk of chitinous exoskeletons and/or even the plant cell walls found in gut contents of herbivorous insects may provide a nutrient dilution effect to alter otherwise excessively energy-dense diets. The larvae of the silk moth and adult stick insects, both feeding on mulberry, may be useful insects for feeding captive insectivores. Proximate constituents are comparable with those of other invertebrates commonly used in zoo feeding programs; a diet of mulberry leaves, however, may enhance dietary fibre and particularly vitamin E and Ca concentrations in these alternative feeder insects.

ofek

Wow Tony, that's superb!
I get a huge amount of stick insects on Thursday, and I have white mulberry trees next to my house and in the uni.
I think my leos & dragons are going to be happy...:)

Visit our friends