Sudden Death (Graphic, organs depicted)

Neon Aurora

This morning I woke up and went to check up on all my leopard geckos like normal and found a 16 month old female that had been a perfectly healthy animal all her life mysteriously dead. I noticed a strange bloody liquid that had dried into a shiny, flaky substance (pictures attached) in her tub. When I inspected the body, I saw on the underbelly a yellow spot that was not normal. I also noticed some blood crusted on the lips, so I assume this fluid was coming from the mouth. I can't afford an autopsy right now because I have a horse who is killing me with vet bills, but I opened her up and discovered that the source of the yellow spot was from the liver. There seemed to be a bile leakage around what I assume was the gall bladder. Also possibly a tear in the liver. All other organs looked normal and healthy. I have a picture of what I'm talking about.

Attached is a picture of the strange bloody fluid I found.
attachment.php

The liver tear:
attachment.php

The bile leak around the assumed gall bladder: These are not my hands, by the way. I tried to insist that he wear gloves, but he wouldn't listen. His problem.
attachment.php

If anyone has any ideas or had something similar happen, please share. I'm concerned about what it could mean for the rest of the geckos from her particular pairing. This gecko was totally healthy up to her death. Healthy weight, always excellent eating habits and normal looking stools. She was active and everything.

Attachments

• IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1661.jpg
    IMG_1661.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 52

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I find it hard to believe that something like this could be hereditary (though I'm no genetics expert). It sounds to me as if there were some type of acquired or congenital abnormality. Obviously if another gecko from this pairing has the same problem it is hereditary, but I'd be surprised if that happens. Sorry for you loss,but thanks for the interesting post.

Aliza

Neon Aurora

Thanks for the input, it was definitely quite a shock. I quite liked this one and had promised her to a friend of mine. I'm just glad I haven't given her to my friend yet or I would have felt pretty bad.

We were also thinking gallstones. We tried opening the gall bladder but it kind of exploded. We weren't able to detect any stones, but they can be pretty tiny. I have to assume it was the bile leakage that killed her since she didn't show any signs of liver problems prior to her death. Bile in the abdomen isn't normal in any case. Poor thing.

Visit our friends