Suggestions on shelving/storage for leopard geckos

RRReptile

Hi all,

I have been facing a quandary with the storing of my growing leopard gecko collection. It seems to be that once you get to a certain point the only viable option for storing leopard gecko habitats is something similar to a snake rack system with Tupperware as the enclosure. Nothing against those that use them but I really am not a fan of how it looks and the fact you cant see the geckos (they are pets after all and they need to be seen to be loved) really puts me off of this option. I have been searching for a while for ideas that don't include this setup. I have several 20gal long tanks and ten gallon tanks for my males, and I am swiftly running out of flat surfaces to put them. My geckos are primarily rescues, and unfortunately there are too many uneducated reptile owners out there, which makes my collection grow very quickly indeed. If anyone has had the same problem and found a workable solution, or any ideas really would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is the lighting on top of the cages, I have several wire racks that work well, but I can only realistically put one 20long on a shelf and only 3 shelves per rack because of the spacing to accommodate the light fixtures.

Thanks! :)

RRReptile

Thanks for the response, that setup would work. However there isn't room for lights. This is the issue i keep running into. Its not possible to reliably heat my house to the required temperatures for Leo's, so lighting is a must. Any rack system would have to be something that could incorporate the smaller Dome/double dome light fixtures.
The link however, i Love that setup for my Cresteds in Exoterras. that is slick with the lights under the shelf recesses. Thank you!

cowana

Are you using lighting for leopard geckos? Leos don't require overhead lighting, they get their heat from belly heat, so UTH, heat tape, or heat cable is a far more effective way to provide heating to your Leos. If you invest in Thermostats to control the temperatures of the heat source you shouldn't have to worry about your house temps too much unless consistently under 65F. Actually many Leos can find overhead lights bothersome since they are a nocturnal species and don't bask. If you are using UVB lighting it isn't required, and you can provide a day/night cycle with ambient light from windows or room lights effectively. This will also provide you with more room on your shelving systems. :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have shelf units made of dowels. I get stackable, front-opening enclosures from glasscages.com that are half the height of regular enclosures and put the enclosures on the shelves. Here's a picture of one of my stacks. The stack in question is the unit on the right. In this picture it has several different kind of cage in it including from the top:
Tetra Fauna with sliding doors
glasscages.com with sliding doors
front-opening glasscages.com "half 29" (29 gallon dimensions but half the height)
another half 29
on the bottom shelf, hard to see, a Visionarium

Aliza

Attachments

• cages4.jpg
    cages4.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 27

RRReptile

Thank you Cowana, this is a great idea. I have seen the heat tape but was concerned about how well it works. I was more concerned with maintaining the ambient temperature of the tank with it. To keep the tank in the mid 80's during the day, I would imagine the heat tape needs to get fairly hot, and my guys love rooting around under the paper towels. Don't want them to burn themselves if they got trapped under them (which has happened, some of them are a little hard of sight). Are my worries founded or do i have the wrong idea about the stuff? I have read many reviews for the heat tape but they are so polar in their opinions. Either people swear by it or they say its a crock.
We also aren't using UVB lights, it is only the day/night bulbs in our double domes, with a heating pad on the bottom.

RRReptile

That is a beautiful set up ACPart. Looks very nice with the live plants and such. The shelves have a nice look to them but how sturdy are they? I have dogs and as much as i try to prevent it, the shelves get a bump every now and then. With all the weight of tanks on them, how are they? Do they sway side to side or front to back at all? any bending or warping of the dowels as the tanks sit on them? Are you using heat tape for them?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The shelves seem pretty stable. You could also get metal shelves from Home Depot or equivalent. These were shelves I bought to hold kids' toys when the kids were little. Each cage is heated separately. Some of them have under tank heaters (I prefer Zoo-med because they seem to be encased in vinyl rather than just the bare flexwatt). My top choice, though, is Zoo-med heat cable, a rubberized heat cable that can be taped to the bottom or side (I use bottom, except for some on the back wall of my new red eyed tree frog enclosure) of the enclosure and then taken off and re-taped. The most effective tape I've found is Nashua tape. I have not used flexxwatt heat tape myself, but have heard a few worrying stories. You will, of course, need a thermostat.

Aliza

cowana

I've never had any problems with heat tape, but it is important to make sure it is wired and connected properly. Some places you can order it pre-done for you... Configured how need it, if you aren't comfortable with electrical.

I have heard some people say only use FlexxWatt, the original, the others are the ones that cause problems. Others say they are all okay if done correctly. I have racks wired with both FlexxWatt and THG (both big well known brands) and they both work equally well for me. Put out consistent heat with thermostat, no malfunctioning of any type, no harm to animals.

Visit our friends