Taming leopard gecko

crazylizardlady

Theres many ways to do it, I personally have tried two different methods. You can put your hand in flat in the tank with him and see if he comes over to investigate or crawls onto your hand. This method takes forever and has rarely worked out for me but when I got my first leo I was terrified of being bitten so this is what I did. The other way which is what I do now, is just to reach in and scoop them up. The key with the scoop is to be confident, dont be fidgety or jerky about it just reach in and scoop them up. If they bite, which in my experience they rarely do, but if they do just leave your hand there eventually they realize the bite is ineffective and you are not food. Most of the time they just walk around in which case put one hand in front of the other and let them walk hand to hand until they relax and stay still, they can move pretty quick especially the babies so be ready. Start out slow only holding your leo for 5 minutes or so and gradually increase the time.

Neon Aurora

I agree with the advice given. The reach in and scoop up method has always worked for me. =) I also would like to emphasize the importance of a sure hand.

Another important thing to go with the flow. The gecko will likely struggle when you first pick it up. Try not to restrain it, but instead move your hands so the gecko stays on them and it will settle down. If you restrain the gecko, you risk injury and the gecko is MUCH more likely to bite. Once it is on your hand, it's a lot less likely to struggle and freak out. It will eventually become habituated.

Hold low over the ground so it isn't a big deal if it takes a leap of faith.

Last edited:

EXOBanette

thanks :D my second leopard gecko nami try to escape and almost fell into a pile of books which are solid I did catch her but she got piss at me so yea thank :)

Visit our friends