Tarentola annularis Care Sheet

Tonylilgys

I wrote this many moons ago but it may be helpful so someone working with this species. I truly enjoyed breeding and learning from these amazing geckos.

White Spotted Gecko

Scientific Name: Tarentola annularis
Taxonomic Rank: Animalia: Chordata:
Reptilia: Squamata: Gekkonidae:
General InformationThe White Spotted Gecko can be found in the Middle East , Africa, and some states in the United States mainly Florida.
Description: A fat or say think type gecko reaching a size of 7-8 inches, the colors go from the clear gray/tan to the dark gray. With 2 sets of white spots on there back some have more.
Housing: A 6 month old White Spotted Gecko can be in a 10 gallon tank with no problems. As the Gecko grows you will need a 20gal tall. Pairs or a trio should be kept in something around 18x18x24 or bigger. White Spot Gecko like tall enclosures so the more height the better.
Substrate: The terrarium is of dry type such as a leopard Gecko. Put lots of branches for your geckos to climb on.
Shelters: Also add hiding places for your geckos and lots decoration.
Temperatures and Humidity and Lighting: The temp should be around 68F - 86F during the day and around 68F – 59F at night when simulating winter months. I like to keep my geckos at 83F during the day. They seem to stay more active.
Food: I like to feed well gut loaded Crickets everyday. These geckos like to eat in the afternoon to give time to digest. You can also feed them on a mixed diet that includes mealworms, locusts, waxworms or even pinky mice to larger adults.
Maturity: 18 months is the age for adulthood for White Spots. The have been known to reproduce within the 1 year of birth.
Sexage: The males have a more massive head, are generally a little longer, and tail bases it is thicker. It is almost impossible to distinguish the sex from the young people before their maturity. If you look at the base of the tail you will see two lumps at the base of the tall if male or a single bulge at the base of tail.
Reproduction: The reproduction takes place in spring, with the return of the higher temperatures and more food being offered to the geckos.
Laying: The female lays several series of two eggs (from 3 to 4) during spring and the summer. The eggs are in general buried in the sand or substrate, a place protected with the shelters from the sun and generally slightly wet.
Incubation: The eggs incubate and hatch six to eight weeks after the laying.

Visit our friends