Tasting but not eating...

Chet1028

mine does that too. I've come to the conclusion that she is checking to see how hard the skin is. She seems to quickly devour the whiter, softer ones but will not eat the darker, harder shelled ones.

reps4life

Why is my Leo touching her tongue ( tasting) her worms but not eating them?

It just does not smell appetizing to her. I have seen this happened with superworms. Some just won't eat them. Are you dusting with vitamins? That could also be the reason. Some don't like the taste of the vitamin supplement.

BadKelpie

Echo does that. I have tried sneaking lobster roaches into her dubias and superworms into her mealworms. She hates lobsters and supers, so now she sniffs first.

lisagr07

mine does that too. I've come to the conclusion that she is checking to see how hard the skin is. She seems to quickly devour the whiter, softer ones but will not eat the darker, harder shelled ones.

thanks Chet1028,, i'll have to do a little experimenting with that theory.... could be something to it!!!!

lisagr07

It just does not smell appetizing to her. I have seen this happened with superworms. Some just won't eat them. Are you dusting with vitamins? That could also be the reason. Some don't like the taste of the vitamin supplement.

as far as dusting goes..... and i may get jumped on about this but, i haven't dusted them... i ordered "vita mealies", supposedly they don't need to be dusted,
"Another advantage of purchasing vita-mealies: you also save a ton on vitamins and calcium supplements because there is no need to dust the worms prior to feeding them to your pets...the nutrients are already there!!"

they are fed a vitamin enriched concoction and all you need to do is feed them... any thoughts on that?

lisagr07

Echo does that. I have tried sneaking lobster roaches into her dubias and superworms into her mealworms. She hates lobsters and supers, so now she sniffs first.

i have only had her for two weeksish and havent offered her anything else yet, except an occasional cricket... up until this morning she has jumped on amy mealie that moved!!! :)

reps4life

as far as dusting goes..... and i may get jumped on about this but, i haven't dusted them... i ordered "vita mealies", supposedly they don't need to be dusted,
"Another advantage of purchasing vita-mealies: you also save a ton on vitamins and calcium supplements because there is no need to dust the worms prior to feeding them to your pets...the nutrients are already there!!"

they are fed a vitamin enriched concoction and all you need to do is feed them... any thoughts on that?

That's great. I try to avoid dusting as much as possible. I rotate as many food items as possible and dust sparingly. Although I doubt 1 type of worm will have all the nutrients needed. So I think it's best to mix with at least one other item and use multivitamins once a week. They will also need some D3 in their diet.
I thought you meant pheonix worms which are balanced; vita-mealies are not so it's important that you dust them with calcium.

Last edited:

Visit our friends