Thermostat help

skitch92

Senior Member?
Okay, here's my situation. I need something to reglate the heat of my enclosure and just had a few questions on using thermostats.

First off, for the thermostat probe, where should you place it in relation tothe heat source?

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good thermostat and some info on them?

Thanks guys!

G

Green_Snake

Well, I would recommend putting it on the hot side, and setting the thermostat to whatever temp. you want. Are you using a under tank heater?

G

Green_Snake

I would think that the hot side is the only place you should put it, because if it is on the cool side, the poor gecko will fry because the temp will be on, trying to heat the probe which it can't if it's on the cool side....

I think. I have a thermostat and probe for my beardie, but I use an overhead lamp.

bubblez825

The thermostat I use is connected to my UTH and the probe has to be directly on top of the substatrate(lets say paper towels) where the UTH is placed. I know some people keep it under the substatrate, but doesn't it make more sense to measure the temp of what the gecko will be laying on?

Rejoice in the Lord

Put the thermostat probe directly against the warmest part of the substrate. For a lot of set-ups, this is going to be towards the center of the uth.

I have an a-life 1000 thermostat, and it is doing the job well for me now.

When I first got it, I was having difficulty with the end of the probe popping up in the air, and my temps rising too high. To keep this from happening, I found it necessary to hold the thermostat probe in place. I did this by building a special slot into one of my hides, and setting it in the slot. Since then, I have not had a problem with it.

Visit our friends