Thinking of a Name...

Neon Aurora

So I feel like I'm getting serious enough in this hobby to start thinking of a name for my "business" (for lack of a better word) and start thinking about making a facebook page for it (I want to make an actual website when I'm more established). Last season I didn't feel it was necessary because it was really just practice. I only got 3 babies out of it anyways. This season, I feel I want to get that going because I am pairing two females now (I guess I like to move up slowly to make sure I know what I'm doing) and my very first clutch of the season looks perfect (which means I have my incubation technique down). I feel like I'm really getting started now, I have one season under my belt (with many mistakes), I've collected some pretty good quality animals that I 100% know the genetics of, so I want to take the next step.

Anyways, I have given it the occasional thought here and there, but I'm honestly very indecisive by nature and never could decide what I wanted to call myself. So a lot of people seem to name themselves by location. I've thought about that. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The most prominent land mark around here (and the one I love the best) is the Sandia Mountains. The mountains glow pink at sunset, so they're called Sandia (watermelon). So if I wanted to choose a location-based name, it would be Sandia (Mountain?) Leopard Geckos. I suppose I also like the state symbol, the Zia. But I don't know what I would do with that. But then, I was thinking, I probably won't live here my whole life. I want to go to graduate school and stuff. What if I end up in like Oregon or something?

Anyways, if I didn't want a location-based name, than I have no idea. I really love science and I really love bright colors but I've failed to think of any catchy names having to do with those things.

But yeah, I suppose what I'm after is some help brainstorming. Or any comments at all. I'm notoriously bad at naming things xD.

Last edited:

CrestieFan1

Just a shot in the dark. (And you would have to check and make sure it's not in use)
"High Spectrum Geckos"

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

I actually like that. I'll add it to the list of options. :D Also maybe "Full Spectrum Geckos". Neither are in use as far as I can tell. I do like the idea of using "spectrum" somewhere in it.

CrestieFan1

I like full spectrum. I figured it was already in use but if not I'd snatch it up.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

Oops, looks like full spectrum might be in use after all. There is no website, but I found a post from 5 years ago saying they were at Repticon. Darn. =/

wicked gecko

Have you been able to find any listing of it more recent? Seems from doing research that alot of names from 5 years ago aren't still going. I suppose the economy and this effected this hobby same as many others. I'm not sure how to see if the name is registered currently or not. I make and sell muskie baits and when I registered my business name they ran it through to be sure it wasn't a registered name already for me before accepting and approving it. Not sure if their is a similar system in the reptile industry or not. Russ

Neon Aurora

I couldn't find much information on it at all. I suppose I don't even know how to go about getting a name accepted or approved.

I guess one thing that makes me reluctant to use that name is that even if it's not still being used, the people who were using it didn't seem to have the best reputation. I would hate to be associated with that, because I intend to be a reputable breeder.

Maybe some people who have done the whole process can chime in at some point. I would appreciate more information on it. =)

Last edited:

wicked gecko

I can fully understand that! No need to get caught up in a bad reputation that has no link to you, I hadn't thought of that part. Sorry I'm not much help lol. Good luck with picking a name. I'm planning to join you and the other reputable breeders but not until the 2018 or 2019 season depending on when I get my group of breeders together and to the proper size/age. Russ

indyana

The topic's come up before, and generally, people didn't like the idea of using a previous business name, even if they that business is now not going. As you said, confusion with the previous business was the main reason, but there could also be legal issues if they trademarked the name or something.

I think Sandia and Zia, while locational, aren't specific enough that you couldn't take them if you moved later on. Assuming you really like the name. :) Otherwise, maybe do searches for some of your favorite science/color topics and look for words that catch your eye in articles.

You'll also have to check out the laws in your area. I know in my state, you can't really sell under a name other than your own unless you register it as a business (so I could sell geckos as Rachel Gratis as a hobbyist, but if I start using the name "Rachel's Geckos" or something, I then have to register as a business). In Massachusetts, that means filing the name of the business and other information with my town with something called a Doing-Business-As certificate. I would also have to do a search of trademarks to be certain I'm not using a trademarked name, and, as you mentioned, a general search of the internet to ensure someone else isn't already using it.

A quick Google search for starting a business in New Mexico brought up this website:
https://gonm.biz/business-resource-center/start/

Looks to be some helpful info there for the legal details of naming and starting a business.

Neon Aurora

Thanks, Rachel! That's a lot of information I wasn't really aware of. And thanks for that link, too. I'll definitely look into the laws and make sure I do everything legally. =)

It'll probably take me some time to decide on a name for sure. I want it to be something I really like and am totally sure of. But, I think I still have plenty of time.

Visit our friends