This isn't right...

SMH

All right, here we go- So, I placed my female in with my male on Saturday, I watched them... um mate(makes me sound really weird) to make sure it happened. I was intending to leave my male in with her until she lays fertile eggs. Weel, today I got home around 3:30 pm, left until 7:30 pm, checked on my geckos and noticed blood on next to their warm hide. Check their vents, their was dry blood on both male and female, but only near the males, not on it and no where else on either male or female. Here's some picture of the blood with a dime for reference, a ariel veiw of her, and a side view of her, don't mind the red marks by her feet in the side view, it's just calcium when it gets wet. Tell me what you think, has this ever happened to you, is it okay, what should I do, or any advise. :main_robin:

Thanks,
Shawn.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
All right, here we go- So, I placed my female in with my male on Saturday, I watched them... um mate(makes me sound really weird) to make sure it happened. I was intending to leave my male in with her until she lays fertile eggs. Weel, today I got home around 3:30 pm, left until 7:30 pm, checked on my geckos and noticed blood on next to their warm hide. Check their vents, their was dry blood on both male and female, but only near the males, not on it and no where else on either male or female. Here's some picture of the blood with a dime for reference, a ariel veiw of her, and a side view of her, don't mind the red marks by her feet in the side view, it's just calcium when it gets wet. Tell me what you think, has this ever happened to you, is it okay, what should I do, or any advise. :main_robin:

Thanks,
Shawn.

Hopefully a breeder will see this thread, I'd like to know what happened as well. Was this her first time breeding?
In all the threads I have read, I haven't seen a situation like this.

roger

Thanks,
Shawn.

Just to clarify did u see any cuts or bites on either the male or female?

snakegirl

i had a male do this, he was a first time breeder and when he mated he had spat blood out from his vent (about as much as your male) , all other signs he was Great, eating,acting fine, nothing sick, waited a week and tried again same thing happen much much worse almost half the napkin was soaked in blood very scary scene! nothing seemed suck or out of place from his vent, and i gave him a sugar and warm water soak had him on some meds, and even then nothing happened he never got sick,stopped eating, or anything, he was fine.....i waited another 2 months it happened again ((very little blood)) He became a "Only pet" gecko. was perfectly healthy and normal

But please i would say Dont breed your male. i don't know why my male ever did that,i have had MANY MANY MANY male leopard geckos and NEVER seen it before or after this one.... i don't know what can happen or what caused it, but i know if you keep letting him breed ((and he will keep trying)) there could be a HUGE mistake and he will lose A lot of blood, trust me its not worth it.

SMH

Just to clarify did u see any cuts or bites on either the male or female?

No cuts or bites on either.

i had a male do this, he was a first time breeder and when he mated he had spat blood out from his vent (about as much as your male) , all other signs he was Great, eating,acting fine, nothing sick, waited a week and tried again same thing happen much much worse almost half the napkin was soaked in blood very scary scene! nothing seemed suck or out of place from his vent, and i gave him a sugar and warm water soak had him on some meds, and even then nothing happened he never got sick,stopped eating, or anything, he was fine.....i waited another 2 months it happened again ((very little blood)) He became a "Only pet" gecko. was perfectly healthy and normal

But please i would say Dont breed your male. i don't know why my male ever did that,i have had MANY MANY MANY male leopard geckos and NEVER seen it before or after this one.... i don't know what can happen or what caused it, but i know if you keep letting him breed ((and he will keep trying)) there could be a HUGE mistake and he will lose A lot of blood, trust me its not worth it.

I've bred him in the past(in December because a different female was ovulating), and this is his(or her) first time bleeding. I just seperated them, and going to moniter each of them to see if it mysteriously happens again. And sadly this is my only male...

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited:

Visit our friends