Tubs Vs Glass Enclosure - Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer? Tub Setups or Glass Setups?

• Tub Setups (Sterilite, Rubbermaid, etc)

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Glass Enclosures

Votes: 52 71.2%
  • Either one

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kev

I'm getting my first leopard gecko next month and I am trying to decide which setup I want him to live in between a sterilite tub or an all glass enclosure. I really like both but I know with both, there are pros and cons. I just want to hear from everyone else on what they prefer between the two.

gmaier19

if you plan on getting a lot more geckos then i would get a tub. if youre planning on keeping only one gecko then i would get a glass tank.

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
If you only have a few geckos, a decent sized glass enclosure. If you have more then a couple, then a rack system, so basically tubs.

LeoIsland

Leo Island
I have only one SHTCT at the moment in a big Glass tank. If I get more I saw small Glass tanks at Petsmart today when I was grabbing crickets for 10$ and they are perfect to house them individually. I saw some nasty pictures in a thread today of what a male did to a female. So the SHTCT lucks out and will keep the big tank, all the additions from here on out will just get a new small Glass tank.

I do want to know if I were to have a 1.2/1.3 do the majority of people keep the females together? And just house the male seperately. Has anyone had trouble with females picking on females? I would make sure to limit the age difference of the females of course!

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
I have only one SHTCT at the moment in a big Glass tank. If I get more I saw small Glass tanks at Petsmart today when I was grabbing crickets for 10$ and they are perfect to house them individually. I saw some nasty pictures in a thread today of what a male did to a female. So the SHTCT lucks out and will keep the big tank, all the additions from here on out will just get a new small Glass tank.

I do want to know if I were to have a 1.2/1.3 do the majority of people keep the females together? And just house the male seperately. Has anyone had trouble with females picking on females? I would make sure to limit the age difference of the females of course!

I keep a 1.3 colony together with no problems in a 40 long. Just be sure they have enough hides.

Chosen010

FANATiC
There are a lot of factors to come into play on whether or not you house your females together. Size will be a factor that I've read about, larger ones can bully smaller ones. Temperament will be another. Some are just more aggressive/territorial than others. All you can do is introduce them and plan on monitoring closely and prepare yourself for them not to get along so that you're not w/o a place to keep them separate.

Reborn

There are a lot of factors to come into play on whether or not you house your females together. Size will be a factor that I've read about, larger ones can bully smaller ones. Temperament will be another. Some are just more aggressive/territorial than others. All you can do is introduce them and plan on monitoring closely and prepare yourself for them not to get along so that you're not w/o a place to keep them separate.

Thats not necessarily true I've found. I have this female-bout 55 grams give or take who is the dominate female of a 4 female group. There are females who are 80 or so grams-FAT girls. Normally i would agree but we must remember each one has its own personality. I had feed all and provide enough hides for everyone to have hot and cold. Havent had any issues in housing groups. I dont care for racks/tubs honest I dont. I have 6.16 males alone females in groups of 1-4 depending on eachs personality. All in a custom build cage that houses males in a slightly bigger then 20 long set up and females in a slightly bigger then 45 gallon-breeder sized- set up. babies in tubs and 3 in 10 gallons. Love watching my geckos more then tv:3

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Tubs vs. glass: I mostly have glass but do have a small rack for hatchling fat tails and coleonyx and also for hatchling leos when I run out of glass enclosure room. The tubs are good for the fat tails and coleonyx since they eat small crickets which tend to move between the partitions in my glass enclosures. I really prefer being able to see my geckos and them being able to see me.

Housing leos together: During the breeding season I have 3 groups of 1.2. They get "mixed and matched" every season. In general I have no problems. I have one female who sometimes gets a big nippy with the other one. I did have to separate the other one for the first time in a few years at the end of last year's breeding season but she's doing OK this year and generally keeps to herself. I also have 1.1 that don't breed (the female keeps to herself in the magnet hide and won't let the male near her) and also 3 retired females who do very well together.

Aliza

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I like glass tanks, because I can watch them or peek at them 24/7. Glass tanks are usually larger and taller than tubs, it is possible to include more cage furniture for the gecko to hide in and climb on. This is not possible if you have too many geckos though.

Adinar

I prefer the tubs because some just seem to do better and tend to be less stressed. And depending on the tubs, you can still peek in all you want! lol.

theCREECH

I have 3 females right now in 10 gallon glass tanks individually. I thought 3 geckos would be enough, but now that I've had them for awhile I want more. Once you start figuring out you want more you really start to think about time it takes to take care of them. That's when glass becomes harder to keep. I think tubs would be much easier with higher numbers of animals.

Glitz

Personally, I like the look of glass more.

However, I'm in college, so I'm on a budget and 3 glass tanks aren't convenient to hide when room checks come around. I can provide my leo's with tons more floor space using tubs.

rich904

a nice glass tank does look good but keeping them in tubs is way more economical and space saving. From my experience simplicity is key in my setups

reptileking

Glass: You can make it custom, second level! just fake plants, Decor.
But.
Rack-Tubs: Takes not alot of room up and you can have alot of geckos! ( PLUS )

LOL, I have one gecko in a 10 Gallon tank. He Loves It!!! ( I'm Guessing, LOL )

Visit our friends