Typical Leopard Gecko Behavior..?

morphmom

Hello:)
This is my handsome young man, "Mylo" :smitten:

-Is Mylo's calm, sweet, cuddly nature typical of Leo's? Or did I just luck out?
Climbing on mama is one of his greatest joys. But I'm kinna confused.
Mylo is a 6 month old, male, Tremper Albino Giant and is nothing like I expected! I researched Leo's prior to bringing one home and I read story after story about how Leo babes are flighty, prone to jumping and won't sit still. This just isn't my Mylo. He'll sit on me for a good, solid, 20mins or more. Cuddling into my neck or just sitting on my hand. He has never tried to jump and doesn't run when I put my hand in the viv. He's in his hides just as much as he's out.
He's exhibiting Bearded Dragon behavior!:main_laugh:
Mylo is my 1st Leo. I love him so dearly that I'd like another in the future but I'm confused on what to expect now.
He's eating, messing, growing, shedding, alert and curious. I know he's healthy but he seems extremely relaxed. Or, did I just have the wrong idea?
-Opinions?

LCReptiles

While that may describe a majority of juvenile geckos, and even some adults, each animal has its own personality. I have geckos I've kept for over a year that are still flighty anytime I open their tub. I am gecko sitting for a grad student who went away for the summer and the very first night his 2 girls would sit in my palm, eat mealworms from my hand and overall love attention. It just takes some longer then others to come around, and the degree varies. Some will get associate you with feeding and run to meet you at the glass but try to actually pick the up and holy cow watch them run. So yes, in a way you did get lucky. You could get a second gecko tomorrow that might never be comfortable sitting in your lap or even being held. Its all in the personality.

lisa127

I've also found that they are flighty and nervous when they are real small babies. By six months they have a little size to them. The ones that have been very fearful and "scream" are the tiny babies. Mine was very calm and friendly by six months.

OnlineGeckos

Some geckos mellow out faster than others, while some take a bit more time before they become docile. It's typical to have the geckos be a bit more skittish when they are young, and by young we're talking the first few months of hatching. Then they slowly grow out of it, some simply take more time, while others like the one above tolerate handling much faster. It's part of why leopard geckos are such cool creatures :main_thumbsup:

morphmom

Thank you all for the responses!:) He is amazing! I've only had him for just over a month and he continues to surprise me everyday. Poking his head in my ear and placing his front paw on my chin. Looking into my eye, so close he can feel my lashes. What a dear sweet boy!
Maybe I'll hold off on another for a few years. I really do feel lucky:smitten:

mörten

Thank you all for the responses!:) He is amazing! I've only had him for just over a month and he continues to surprise me everyday. Poking his head in my ear and placing his front paw on my chin. Looking into my eye, so close he can feel my lashes. What a dear sweet boy!
Maybe I'll hold off on another for a few years. I really do feel lucky:smitten:

Awe he sounds absolutely adorable! Congratulations! My male gecko is just like that too - loves to climb all over me, eats from my hand, lies on my chest and looks me in the eyes, sleeps in my hand, greets me when I get home and so on :D The others range from being OK with being handled and picked up, and others prefer to be handled as little as possible. However, they are not shy at all when in their tanks.

It is really amazing when you find a gecko that you truly connect with :D Your Mylo even looks like a super calm and "sociable" gecko on the picture. He is so darn cute!

Last edited:

morphmom

Aw, thank you. He's only "barked" at me once. (and it sounded like a tiny sneeze! LOL!) He was climbing behind my neck and got himself tangled in my crazy hair. I very gently tried to untangle him but couldn't see where I was reaching. (I learned it was the tail end) My hand coming from behind him must have scared him and he "barked" loud! LOL! He then got himself free and I calmed him down in my cupped hands. He's never gone behind my neck since! Silly boy just look at me like "dares a monsterz under dare!" :main_laugh:

morphmom

Haha what a sweetie :D Sounds like he is a real climber! They can be really silly sometimes! I laughed so hard to "dares a monsterz under dare" :D
LOL! Thank you! That's how I imagine my babes talking.
I'm quite glad a Leo was my first reptile babe (Myah my BD was an adopted adult) and I feel really blessed that he's so sweet.

This is the world he knew:

And this is what he knows now:

No wonder a lot of babes take a while to adjust! Holy cow! That type of change would shock my system too!

Nate Davis

I know Mylo's face from the Bearded Dragon forums! My Gecko is much as you described. Calm, and not flighty at all. He does like to sit on my head, though.. :/

morphmom

LOL! Yes, I sure do love to show off my babes! They're not flashy or rare, just my sweet tiny dino's! Mylo does not like my head. My hair has far too much wave and curl. A great place for a mouse to make a nest, but not so great for teeny gecko toes! LOL! Mylo is so relaxed that my sister insists that I help her find her own little Leo. Wish us luck:)

Nate Davis

Good luck! My daughter loves the leo and beardie. Soon as she comes into the house she walks to both tanks to say hello. Get's all giggly and silly when I have them out and i ask if she wants to hold one. She downright refuses to hold the leo, but will hold "her" beardie as long as I stand right there.

She says she wants to take her beardie home, but her mother would go nuts. :D I'm sure you'll be able to find your sister a good Leo as well.

Visit our friends