Uneaten crickets

M

maria60

Just wanted to ask, how do you catch uneaten crickets from your leopard gecko's tank?

Thanks in advance
Kristi

STUTFL

Add them one at a time or feed in a separate area?

When the old owners left a ton of the little monsters in the cage, I just gave the poor gecko lots of high places to sleep until they died off and then I cleaned out the cage. And now I feed larvae. So, I guess I can't really help ya. :laugh:

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
A lot of practice has made me really good at snatching them up with my hand. They like to hide in tubes. Maybe you could make a long tube out of heavy paper that a gecko can't fit into and see if the cricket will hide in it.

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
I just catch them sometimes mistakely crush them . D: But when uneaten crickets will have trip to baby turtle's mouth! :D

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Its rare for me to find more than one or two feeders left in the enclosurs but if there is a really noisy cricket that hasnt been eaten i just grab it and either put it back in the cricket breeder tub or put it outside where i know there are loads of massive asian house geckos, waste not want not.

Supers are hard to find as they burrow. i havnt fed supers for about a week but when feeding my geckos last night i saw a super beetle crawling around so there are no doupt a few left in there.

erik

Gecko Newbie
A lot of practice has made me really good at snatching them up with my hand. They like to hide in tubes. Maybe you could make a long tube out of heavy paper that a gecko can't fit into and see if the cricket will hide in it.

This is the truth! We have a roll of wrapping paper lying next to a chest in the living room. Everytime one of those frickets :D escapes and I hear it chirping in the living room, I only need to walk up to the wrapping paper, put my thumbs at both ends, walk to the sink and blow it right into sewer heaven!

BGalloway

Bare hands, just reach in and grab the little critter and put it back with its buddies in your cricket bin. If you can't stand to bare-hand crickets you can use a small paper cup to catch them. I think it helps if you take out all/most of the hides during feeding time, this also lets your leo know that hides out=food (yay behavioral conditioning).

Visit our friends