UPDATE my leo baby's eyes became glazed over again!!!

Ashley Wilcox

So I turned off his light....and after about 30 minutes his eyes returned to normal.....what in the world? Im gonna leave his light off tomorrow and see if he still does it again tomorrow

Ashley Wilcox

Im not really sure? I am just completely stumped on this little one! I have the same light on my blazing blizzard baby tank and my murphy patternless baby tank and their eyes are fine. same temps and everything

Phoenix1115

Im pretty sure it's just too bright, and his pupils are as closed as possible. because in that second picture you can still see the veins and everything, and a teeny tiny slit where the pupil normally is. It make sense that they went back to normal when you turned the light off. Leos don't need a light, and in some cases can cause more harm than good. If you have a good UTH then you can nix the light.

SC Geckos

Im not really sure? I am just completely stumped on this little one! I have the same light on my blazing blizzard baby tank and my murphy patternless baby tank and their eyes are fine. same temps and everything

The only things I can think of,

#1 That gecko looks to be Albino which have much more sensitive eyes than any non Albino

#2 Could have something to do with a vitamin deficiency. (Likely vitamin A)

I am not a vet so these are just ideas and not a diagnosis.
Are you using the lights as a heat source?

SC Geckos

his eyes are not normally that color here is a picture of his normal eyes....also, I give him Repashy Calcium plus...doesnt that have Vitamin A in it?

I don't use Rapashy but I believe it does. Do you have pictures of the setup and does it differ in any way from how the other geckos are housed? Different type of hides, substrate, anything?
Are you using these lights for a primary heat source???

Ashley Wilcox

instead of typing it all out again I copied and pasted it from my other thread

About your leo:
- Sex- not sure
- Age & Weight- a couple of weeks and not sure on weight
- How long have you owned your leo- 13 days
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend)- famous pet store chain

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo- once a day for now just to do a quick check up
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. screaming at me, acts like cant see
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.
B) Fecals- normal
- Describe (look any different than normal)
- When was the last time he/she went- last night
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on- today, just noticed it, its eyes were fine yesterday. both eyes were glazed over then one became normal, still acts like it cant see good

Housing:
A) Enclosure-
- Size- 10 gallon
- Type (ex. glass tank)- glass tank
- Type of substrate- paper towels
- Hides, how many, what kind- 3 hides, 1 on cool side, 1 on hot side, 1 in the middle with damp sphagnum moss
B) Heating
- Heat source- heat lamp, under the tank heat mat
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side)- hot side about 90 cool side about 80
- Method of regulating heat source
- What are you using to measure your temps- digital thermometer
- Do you have any lights (describe)- heat light, not sure on the wattage
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females)- none
- Describe health, or previous problems

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much)- crickets and mealies
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect)- mealies left in dish crickets dropped in tank near it
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands)- Repashy Calcium plus
- What are you gut loading food with- Flukes Cricket quincher and Flukes Orange cubes complete cricket diet

Embrace Calamity

Repashy has plenty of vitamin A, but if he's relatively new with you, it would take a while to build up the vitamin A in his system. One person got a gecko who wasn't getting any vitamin A before they owned it, and it was about 3 sheds later before the gecko's body showed no more signs of a vitamin A deficiency. But, I don't think a vitamin A deficiency would result in this kind of rapid change. Usually the eyes develop issues and it just stays that way.

Do you have a vet you can call? Just to ask if they've ever heard of such a thing?

~Maggot

Ashley Wilcox

Thank you, yes I have a vet I can call. I will try to give them a call in the morning and see if she is in (she only comes in a couple times a week) cause she is just a reptile vet who works at this other vets office as well. I will see what they say. If they havent heard of it then I will get in touch with the pet shop chain that I got him from who has a vet there as well. They said that they will see the animal for free within the 2 weeks return policy. thank you every one for trying to help me out. I just thought this was very strange and it worried me.

DrCarrotTail

They don't look glazed over to me, the pupils just look super small like they are contracted from being exposed to way too much light. I would keep the light off over her enclosure and make sure she has adequate belly heat.

Ashley Wilcox

well so far with leaving the light off today his eyes has been fine...so it just looks like he isnt going to be able to have a light on. He has one under the tank heat mat I may get a larger one to give him a little extra heat. :)

DrCarrotTail

The heat mat only needs to cover about 1/3 of the tank bottom. As long as it does that and provides a spot about 90 degrees you're fine. I found that when my house was over 65 degrees the lamp and UTH combined were raising the air temps to over 100 degrees and almost cooking my geckos.

SC Geckos

As for the heating, you should really consider a thermostat of some sort to properly regulate any heat source. This will prevent overheating or under heating the enclosures. Also is much safer than running unregulated heat sources.

Visit our friends