UTH Enough?..Vet said no.

lclaypool20

lclaypool20
The gecko was from a local pet store that had hatched it at the store. It looked to be in good health and I was able to see it eat before I bought it. The first night home it ate 8-10 small crickets. It ate like that for about 4-5 days and then just stopped eating. I've seen a noticeable difference in tail diameter. He won't even look at a cricket.....just kind of stands there and closes his eyes for about 10 seconds. He also has mealworms in a bowl in the enclosure.

LC

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
How dare you! :behead:

:p

[YT]IaCXxqRNNcc[/YT]

*addendum and off topic to wax nostalgia for a minute*

No one ever crowd surfs anymore. :-(

They're too busy holding up their smart phones. Damn I miss the 90's.

OK, back to geckos.

NO NO KELLI IT'S A JOKE AMONG PRIMUS FANS IN SO CAL, I PROMISE!!! :stunned:

Last edited:

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
Couple of things....

1. Not a Primus Fan...actually more of a Phish guy. My legal name is Les Claypool. I know its crazy, but my Father had the same name and neither of us play bass guitar.

2. I asked the vet about parasites and after physically examining the gecko he didn't think that was the problem. before the Gecko stopped eating the stools looked good. I haven't seen one for 5 days, though. I even mentioned bringing a fecal sample and the vet said that would be an option if he was convinced the cool side being too cold was not the issue.

3. I have a bowl of small mealworms in the enclosure as well as offering crickets.

LC

1. Sorry about the instant association, I'm sure you're as sick of it as I am of being called "Janice" or "Denise", then. My apologies.

2. I'm with folks who think the moist hide on the warm side would help.

3. Awesome.

For the record, I like Primus, and Phish, and Chili Peppers, and Kultur Culture, and They Might Be Giants, and a bunch of other silly stuff, too. I try to be as inclusive in my musical preferences as possible.

Last edited:

lclaypool20

lclaypool20
Update

So I added the red light last weekend and have the cool side temps between 78-83. I also removed the current moist hide with thick bottom and put in a small plastic hide with moist paper towel. I think my Gecko is back to normal. He has been eating better. Last night he ate around 10 small crickets. That is his best night so far. The other nights since the change he has eaten 2-3 small crickets. He also had a successful shed Monday and I think that affected his appetite. The red light has definitely helped. I have notice much more activity and even basking during the day. He sticks his head and shoulders out of the hide and relaxes. I'm not convinced the cool side temps were the problem. I think that the thick bottomed hide I was using was not allowing the moist hide to get to the temps it needed to be. Even though the UTH was heating the vinyl tile to 92-95 it was much cooler than that in the moist hide...73-76, place directly over the UTH. I still agree with most on this forum that a UTH is enough as long as you have it set up right. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a red light for the cool side as well.

I hope that we have turned the corner here. I notice his tail looking a little bigger. Activity and alertness are good.

Later-
Les

Visit our friends