Western Banded House Gecko advice

sarahsuze

Hello,

First let me just say I am exhausted so if I sound slightly off that is why. First time gecko owner. Two weeks ago someone posted they had a free lizard that would come with setup. I did not know she was a house gecko until I showed up to pick her up. She was in super bad shape when we got her. Her setup was disgustingly dirty, the heat lamp was way too intense. Her tail completely gone, she could not use her hind legs and dragged them. The cricket in the cage was bigger than her head. Oh jeez, such a sad little thing! Cleaned out the 10gallon terrarium, bought a reptile mat, water dish that was sloped so she could drag herself up to it and easily get in and out (handicap access if you will), reptile heating pad, hidey logs, and about a dozen very, very small crickets. She ate all of them in 2 days! A UVB light, lizard vitamin dust, calcium dust, cricket habitat and food/water for crickets to get a good gut load.

Fast forward to last night. Let's just say I know NOTHING about these little creatures. I am doing my best to educate myself. Her tail is healing and she has started to move her hind legs, she still can't walk properly and drags herself, but at least she can flex them. Anyway. We were out for the evening and came home to her flipped on her back, pure white and chirping. When she flips onto her back she can't get right herself again because of her back end issues. So yeah, everyone is upset thinking she was dead. I remember reading a while back that they do shed. I just didn't think she was going to shed so soon! At any rate we put her in a tupperware with warm washcloth (smh, out of paper towels) and within minutes her skin started to come away and wasn't stretched so dang tightly on her. I did help get it off and as soon as the big piece came off her back, and head she stopped chirping and just relaxed. I did notice however that there appeared to be a small prolapse from her vent :(. I figured it was from the stress from the shed and we oiled her up with coconut oil and put her to bed. All through today she has been doing fairly well. Urgh, another lesson learned - when prolapse is showing leave in a moist box. Another freak out session with everyone thinking she was going to die. Her prolapse was significantly worse than before and was rather dirty. Definitely know its dirt and not the sperm thing blockage. (Pretty sure she is a she, but not 100%). Anyway, I very, very gently cleaned her up with warm water and coconut oil. She is now in a moist box with heat on one side and her water dish with two crickets in - she has already eaten one of them. So far we are just keeping her moist and warm. I have applied a very high quality sandalwood essential oil (used in humans for prolapses if you are crunchy) with coconut oil as the carrier and then topped it off with some honey. She is resting now, but dangit this just is awful. Her prolapse does appear to be getting smaller and by keeping it moist it isn't getting any worse. Just worried. Sheesh, can't walk right, starving, missing tail, itchy skin and now her poor bum is messed up. Any advice? I will try to find a good vet where I live in the am.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF. For prolapse, another thing that works that people often use is either Karo syrup or a very sugary water+sugar solution which shrinks the tissues. If you want to be less crunchy, you could also use preparation H (hemorrhoids). You're right, vet is probably the best bet. Can you post a picture? Is it actually a house gecko (genus hemidactylus) or a banded gecko (genus Coleonyx)?

Aliza

Visit our friends