We've got some stuck toes

Euphillia

Hm I thought they were still called Huskies? Wow sorry :eek:

I thought there was the Malamute Husky...and then the Siberian Husky

No no. Huskies are from Siberia and Malamutes are from far north North America. Two very separate breeds.

But I hear that quite a bit.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
There are actually SEVERAL different types of husky. The alaskan husky, the siberian husky, the canadian husky (or canadian eskimo dogs), the Greenland Husky, Mackenzie River Husky, and Sakhalin Husky. Malamutes are entirely different altho often referred to as husky because that was a generally broad term applied to many different breeds of sled dogs. "The word "husky" is a corruption of the derogative term "Eskie", also given to the Esquimaux tribes that came into contact with Europeans who made early expeditions into their lands." (can ya tell I wrote an article on the Iditarod for our paper :) ) you will never hear it introduced at the Westminster dog show as a malamute husky tho. Malamutes are the heavy lifters in the dog world meant to go short distances with heavy loads whereas the husky are like the long runner, meant to go at moderate speeds over loooong distances.

Their origines aren't very far off tho. Malamutes were founded in north western alaska, alaskan husky all parts of alaska, siberian husky eastern Siberian peninsula.

All very beautiful dogs and a lot of fun to.

Last edited:

Euphillia

There are actually SEVERAL different types of husky. The alaskan husky, the siberian husky, the canadian husky (or canadian eskimo dogs), the Greenland Husky, Mackenzie River Husky, and Sakhalin Husky. Malamutes are entirely different altho often referred to as husky because that was a generally borad term applied to many different breeds of sled dogs. "The word "husky" is a corruption of the derogative term "Eskie", also given to the Esquimaux tribes that came into contact with Europeans who made early expeditions into their lands." (can ya tell I wrote an article on the Iditarod for our paper :) ) you will never hear it introduced at the Westminster dog show as a malamute husky tho. Malamutes are the heavy lifters in the dog world meant to go short distances with ehavy loads whereas the husky are like the long runner, meant to go at moderate speeds over loooong distances.

Their origines aren't very far off tho. Malamutes were founded in north western alaska, alaskan husky all parts of alaska, siberian husky eastern Siberian peninsula.

All very beautiful dogs and a lot of fun to.

Fantastic history lesson!! Loved it!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I'm glad you enjoyed that. You know me... I love educating people about dogs esp. their history and foundation. I think understanding more about your breed's foundation gives owners a better chance at truly understanding the behaviors their dog displays and why.

Visit our friends