What is best to feed...?

T

thecast

Well the gecko i have i am watching for a friend and probably will be for the nect few years (since he is in college). He usually takes care of all of her needs, including bringing her crickets an cleaning her tank and replacing bulbs, heaters, moss, whatever she needs.... But i will be moving soon and I'm not sure how easy it is going to be for him to bring crickets weekly and i dont know how easy it is going to be for me to get to a petstore...

I was wondering, are those freezedried mealworms okay?

What is the best thing to feed her? Will she only eat crickets since she's been on a cricket diet for 4 years?

Any guidence is appriciated.

snakegirl

freezedried are not good for them nor do i think they even try it since they only seem to eat things that move, however you can even Order feeders online, she might try new things, geckos always seem to love wax worms they are great to try if reptiles dont want to eat, mealworms are a common feeder for leopard geckos along with super worms,roaches,silkworms,butter worms, crickets, and more, you can store mealworms in a refrigerate so you can have Live ones on hand without caring for them much, and only taking out the ones you wanna feed along with waxworms and are much easier then crickets

T

thecast

freezedried are not good for them nor do i think they even try it since they only seem to eat things that move, however you can even Order feeders online, she might try new things, geckos always seem to love wax worms they are great to try if reptiles dont want to eat, mealworms are a common feeder for leopard geckos along with super worms,roaches,silkworms,butter worms, crickets, and more, you can store mealworms in a refrigerate so you can have Live ones on hand without caring for them much, and only taking out the ones you wanna feed along with waxworms and are much easier then crickets

How long do mealworms live in the refrigerator? Do i have to feed them or anything? Sorry i am kinda stupid when it comes to reptiles, lol. I an the queen of small animals but know poop about reptiles. I'm really trying to learn and ubtain all the knowledge i possibly can.

got spots?

leo lover
before you feed mealworms from a fridge you need to get them out of the firdge and feed them carrots and stuff for 48hrs prior to feeding. Just get a bin out in wheat flour and give them carrots.

T

thecast

before you feed mealworms from a fridge you need to get them out of the firdge and feed them carrots and stuff for 48hrs prior to feeding. Just get a bin out in wheat flour and give them carrots.

....do what? I'm confused.......

mindgamer8907

Go to the "feeders" section of the site (accessible from the main page) and it will outline some "gut-loading" procedures a bit more thoroughly. However, if you'll be having these geckos for several years you may want to start a colony of feeders. Basically get a shallow, but long rubbermaid bin (around 2 feet X 1 foot X 8 inches is good) and buy or order yourself maybe 500 mealies (they're very easy to take care of) and fill the container with about 4 inches of wheat germ or a whole weat flour (specifics can be found in the feeder section) and some powdered milk. Toss in the mealies and throw some pieces of vegetables in there (carrots are good, and so is cellery or fruit rinds like bannana peels are good) and remove those every few days, if condensation starts to form, then take a pin and prick holes in the lid.

Sorry for taking up so much space, but buying feeders all the time can get expensive and keeping your own breeding colony can cut down on that cost considerably. If you don't understand what I've just said let me know, but don't forget to read the articles in the feeder section, they'll help.

T

thecast

I'm sorry i cant seem to find this... "gut-loading" thingymabober... I'm very very new here. lolz. where do i look?

Visit our friends