What morphs are my new friends? Giants?

Schiffy

I picked up this pair of leo's from someone that was too busy to take care of them. He claimed that they are 1.5-2 years old and bought them a year and a half ago at an expo from Your Gecko Guy. He told me the male was a Giant Suntan and the female is a Giant Jungle Albino Snow but had no paperwork from the breeder. I've never really heard of a suntan, I was thinking sunglow/tangerine but I have no clue. I wasn't having any luck comparing the other as a jungle albino snow either.
I was just curious if he was correct on the genetics. Are they giants or just big old leos or is there no way to tell without proper documentation? The size/weights: male suntan 9.2 inches/102 grams, female albino 9.7 inches/95 grams. Regardless of what they are, I am very content my new docile/healthy additions. Sorry the pictures are of poor quality, phone issues. I could upload better pictures later if that will help identify them. Thanks for your help!

male giant suntan - 9.2 in/102g
m.jpg

female giant jungle albino snow - 9.7 in/95g
f.jpg

the pair (not my picture but the previous owners, they are now in separate CLEAN terrariums)
IMG_3522.JPG

mo.mak

Hi there !

Like you stated, it's not enough just by size to tell if they're giants , you need documents to 100 approve it , but by the looks of it they could be giants due to their defined head structure,compare these two images of my normal sized and giant sized , you'll easily see the head is more defined than the other ...but like you said, documents are needed aswell, that isn't always enough .

90fc4bbc05a3eb206fee602a7bdfa8c0.jpg

95235948ae0031614104d180f8937baa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

mo.mak

I picked up this pair of leo's from someone that was too busy to take care of them. He claimed that they are 1.5-2 years old and bought them a year and a half ago at an expo from Your Gecko Guy. He told me the male was a Giant Suntan and the female is a Giant Jungle Albino Snow but had no paperwork from the breeder. I've never really heard of a suntan, I was thinking sunglow/tangerine but I have no clue. I wasn't having any luck comparing the other as a jungle albino snow either.
I was just curious if he was correct on the genetics. Are they giants or just big old leos or is there no way to tell without proper documentation? The size/weights: male suntan 9.2 inches/102 grams, female albino 9.7 inches/95 grams. Regardless of what they are, I am very content my new docile/healthy additions. Sorry the pictures are of poor quality, phone issues. I could upload better pictures later if that will help identify them. Thanks for your help!

male giant suntan - 9.2 in/102g
View attachment 73315

female giant jungle albino snow - 9.7 in/95g
View attachment 73316

the pair (not my picture but the previous owners, they are now in separate CLEAN terrariums)
View attachment 73314

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

indyana

A lot of breeders don't actually provide "documentation", I'm afraid, especially for animals bought at a show. I would suspect they are exactly what the owner remembered, judging from appearance.

"Suntan" project from Your Gecko Guy was a project of crosses between Sunglow and Tangelo morphs... which pretty much results in Tangerine Trempers. :) Your male looks as though he has a bit of carrot tail but a lot of markings (so not a Sunglow).

Schiffy

A lot of breeders don't actually provide "documentation", I'm afraid, especially for animals bought at a show. I would suspect they are exactly what the owner remembered, judging from appearance.

"Suntan" project from Your Gecko Guy was a project of crosses between Sunglow and Tangelo morphs... which pretty much results in Tangerine Trempers. :) Your male looks as though he has a bit of carrot tail but a lot of markings (so not a Sunglow).

Thank you for the information, I definitely don't regret picking these two up for $80! Since it seems like you know your leos, for the jungle snow albino, is that of the tremper line as well?

indyana

There isn't a 100% reliable way to tell what strain an albino is by appearance, which is why it is important to only breed albinos from breeders who tell you what type they are.

murrayexotics

All three of the Albino Strains look different. But you never know if there is a mix of Albinos which is a no no. Yes there is a way to tell if they are giants without paperwork. If they are 95 grams and not fat at all (these geckos do not look fat), they look very healthy. You either have really big normals which is not rare but not normal either. But if they go above 105 and still don't look fat then you most likely have giants. And if they still look healthy and ever weigh above 110 then you go on to super giants.. But seeing how they are about 2 years old you most likely have giants. Their heads also look the same as my giants. Very awesome!!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
All of the albino strains have been linebred and crossed with other morphs so much that you can't accurately ID any of them by a picture anymore. Some may still be more obvious to experienced breeders, but often times, you can have one of each strain that looks the same.

Without genetics backgrounds, no one will be able to tell you albino strains or if the geckos are giants. Giants are giants by genetics and not size. I've had normal geckos bigger than giants. Without knowing more info, you just have nice pet geckos. Please do not listen to anyone who tells you the giant rule size or that you have giants if they hit a certain weight. That information is outdated and not correct at all.

mo.mak

All of the albino strains have been linebred and crossed with other morphs so much that you can't accurately ID any of them by a picture anymore. Some may still be more obvious to experienced breeders, but often times, you can have one of each strain that looks the same.

Without genetics backgrounds, no one will be able to tell you albino strains or if the geckos are giants. Giants are giants by genetics and not size. I've had normal geckos bigger than giants. Without knowing more info, you just have nice pet geckos. Please do not listen to anyone who tells you the giant rule size or that you have giants if they hit a certain weight. That information is outdated and not correct at all.
Thank you Kristi ! Exactly what i was saying ,People need to understand that size isn't enough and that often times you need documented genetic backgrounds or paperwork/record of some sort .

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 3G using Tapatalk

Visit our friends