What type of substrate do you use for your leo's?

ReptileWorld

Hello everyone.

I have been keeping leos for a long time but always used one type of bedding which is this dry dull chip type bedding it was suggested to me as a kid when i got my first leo's and i been using it ever since. they seem to like it. large enough not to get in their mouths when hunting and small enough so that its easy to clean.

I been working on getting a dubia colony established for a few months now and i figured it was time to see how the leo's would act to them. sooo i took a large nymph and dropped it in the tank and right away it started to burrow until it disappeared out of site. so i fished it out and tried again and sure enough it burrowed before any of the leos could eat it. Normally when i feed the animals i dont mind because eventually they would find it and eat it when it comes out of hiding. but i dont want to leave a roach un attended.

So my question is people who feed roaches what type of substrate do you guys use?

Or any suggestions on feeding them with out having to remove all my geckos to a different enclosure to feed and then all back in. i dont want to turn this into work which is why i am willing to change their bedding.

any help would be appreciated

Joao

v Snowflake v
Most people around here will suggest tiles/slate. That's my reccomendation too.

IslaReina

I use tile too, it works great to keep the heat. I use mini tiles (leftover from my kitchen xD) to get a great temp gradient and I fill in the cracks in between them with sand because I keep them on the meshy sheet they came on.

Blacksupra94

You can get floor tile from lowes or home depot. It's really cheap and theres a huge variety.

My substrate is a desert like foam with grout landscape and some modge podged sand glued on

ReptileWorld

hey can someone maybe post a pic of what it looks like? i want to go get some as soon as possible.

do they heat well? i just know my tile bathroom is super cold ha ha :main_laugh:

Visit our friends