What's your rack made of?

GeckoCrossing

I'm about to build a new rack, primarily for babies and for breeding/ovulating females.
I want to know what everyone likes to use to build their rack. My first rack was made of melamine and that's just heavy >< lol. I was thinking of going with the same style as in http://www.geckotime.com/interview-with-ron-tremper-of-leopardgeckocom/

It looks like it's just made out of plywood to me, but I'm not sure. So, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Owens

Island Reptiles
I went with laminated pine for my setup, mainly because I love the smell and look of pine boards :)

GeckoCrossing

Bump. I'm about to get my tax return and going to start my new rack. So I want to get everything squared away.

I thought pine was toxic to reptiles when heated? Doesn't it give off fumes?

Russellm0704

I have one rack made of composite board=looks ok but had to put in supports due to sagging.

I have one made out of melamine which has melamine shelves, full melamine sides, and melamine back.=Looks great but nearly impossible to move.

My most preferred is the melamine shelves that use 2x4 supports. The melamine shelves are heavy but using 2x4 supports makes the rack extremely lighter.

GeckoCrossing

That's a good idea. I might do something like that with the 2x4 supports. I really wanted to do it with XPVC, but that is a little too expensive. I do like how sturdy the melamine shelves are though. Guess I'll go that route unless anyone has any other suggestions?

GeckoCrossing

Any other suggestions? Just got my tax refund today, so want to get it built asap, preferably before 31st March for Perry, GA, Repticon. And I have surgery on the 12th... so gotta get it started! lol. Any help appreciated! Even links or pics to give me ideas would be brilliant! :)

ReptileFreaks01

Reptile Owner
This is funny because I just got done building my baby rack like 5min. ago. But I prefer Milameane you can find it at lowes and home depo and places like that but what ever you do dont use plywood because you can never be sure if it is made out of pine or seader and both are bad for leopard geckos! :)

Visit our friends