When adding a second female to the tank

Latlaw

how do you make sure they both get equal amounts of worms/crickets? I'm hoping to find another female to share Rosa's tank this weekend at the reptile show. Rosa is a VERY good eater and charges to her worm bowl the minute we put her food in. She chases her crickets and quickly devours them. Will the new girl be able to get her share? I know I need to make sure they are approximately the same size but will our new girl get a chance?

Kinda wondering if we should add another one . . .

Olimpia

La Española
I have 4 girls together at the moment and what I do is keep a bowl of worms in at all times. And each girl will feed as much as she wants, whenever she wants. So there have never been any isues with this method. When I only gave out crickets though, yea, there were issues with one being much faster at hunting or something like that.

clegault

i use superworms as feeders so they always have adequate food in the tank at all times, i have two tanks with multiple geckos in them and they all get enough food... you can also try tweezer/tong feeding your new one since your current one has an established routine for feeding which would allow both to get food

GeckoNub

Dont forget the quarentine period ;) From what ive read people give atleast 60-90 days of the new one being housed alone to check for any signs of sickness that could be passed onto existing geckos.

I have 2 babies together in one tank and i do as others and just keep a bowl of worms in all the time so they can pick at them as they want :) I also give them roaches 1-2 times a week and just try to make sure they get their share, although Bubba will normally wolf down 4 quickly while Freya takes 5 or so minutes to eat 1-2 :main_rolleyes:...she is definitly not going hungry though, fat little chubba :D

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
You can leave a dish of mealworms in the their enclosure at all times. Both girls should have access to the food supply and will eat when they're ready. Keep a close eye on them for the first month or two and if you notice that one is losing weight, then one female might be dominating the food source and you might have to separate or feed by hand. Two females in the same enclosure should be of similar weight and length.
Hope that helps!

Visit our friends