Who should I put with who???

Kjenkins

Ok just want to get an opinion on witch geckos I should together.
Here is what I have:

Females: Rainwater Albino,Hypo,Emierin,Tremper Jungle Snow het RAPTOR

Males: Bell Albino,Mack Snow,Tangerine,Jungle,Emierin

I want some pretty babies who do yall think would go good together. I have a good idea but I would like everyone to chime in. I have been studying my genetics and I'm doing pretty good. There are some that get pretty complicated tho. My Tremper is the main one that I get stuck on because she is more complex than the rest of my crew. Please comment it will help me study. lol

DrCarrotTail

Bells, Rainwaters and Trempers should never be crossed. They are separate albino strains and breeding two together will result in non-albino babies that have hets for both albino making it difficult if not impossible to tell which strains the babies are. Also, if you don't know the genetic background of a gecko you can't tell if it has hets like these in its background and it shouldn't be bred. That said, without seeing the actual animals it's hard to know which would be the best to breed or go well together as quality (in my opinion) is as important as recessive genetics when choosing pairs.

Kjenkins

I already know about the albinos Lisa but thank you. Here are some pic's for you tho.

imagejpeg_2_8.jpg This is my Mack Snow Male. imagejpeg_2_10.jpg

This is my Tremper Junle Snow het RAPTOR Female. imagejpeg_3_5.jpg

This is my Bell Albino Male. imagejpeg_2_9.jpg

This is my jungle Male. imagejpeg_2_11.jpg

This is my Emerine Female.

Kjenkins

imagejpeg_3_6.jpg This is my Tangerine Male. imagejpeg_3_7.jpg

This is my Rainwater Albino Female. imagejpeg_3_8.jpg

This is my Hypo Female.

Any more Q's fill free to ask. Now what do you think Lisa?

VampyreByte

Females: Rainwater Albino,Hypo,Emierin,Tremper Jungle Snow het RAPTOR

Males: Bell Albino,Mack Snow,Tangerine,Jungle,Emierin

Emerine to Emerine
your bell, rain and tremper are all going to end up being hets no matter what you breed them too. So maybe snow male to rain and tremper snow. You might even get Super Snows het tremper possible het eclipse.
Maybe Jungle male to your rainwater.
Tangerine male to hypo female

Better keep track of your babies and breeding VERY WELL though since your messing around with all the albino strains. Because none of the albino will happen in the first year so you won't see it.

Just my 2cents

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
You will need to be sure that your jungle, tangerine, and snow are not het for albino. Anymore, it's hard to find geckos with no hets. I agree with everything Lisa said.

Unless you breed two hets or two visuals, you won't end up with any albino babies in the first season.

DrCarrotTail

My thoughts exactly. If a gecko wasn't sold with hets listed I usually assume it has a few that no one knows about and, since I don't want to spend my time raising 60 babies to prove hidden hets out I won't breed them. The albinos you've pictured have some qualities that would make me question what you've listed them as, especially the Rainwater. If you're assuming it's RW based on visual characteristics I would be cautious. If a reliable breeder sold you the animal as RW then I would take their word for it and pick up a known RW to prove it definitely is RW before breeding to an unknown.

All of that said, the Snow male is very pretty and my favorite of the lot! If you know his hets he would be the one I would choose to breed but I might pick up a nice snow female for him that has some of the same nice pastel qualities he has so you can enhance them in future generations :)

Kjenkins

The Rainwater I don't plan on breeding until i know whats going on with her. She has a BIG ???? over her head right now. She was sold to me as Rainwater I was very skeptical but she is also very pretty. I don't have any money in her so I breed her to one of my males to see what I get. I know what the male is already so if something funny comes out I will know its her. So she is in a test breed stage right now. The other two Albinos are a Bell Albino but was not able to tell me if he was het for anything they breed on a large scale and do keep the strains separate tho. The Tremper Jungle snow het RAPTOR is exactly what she is I have she paper work from her breeder. My Mack snow is my fav to he's so pretty and like the Bell I don't know if he is het for anything he came from the same place as the Bell. So I need to prove them out. I do not under any circumstance mix an Albino strain or the eye pigments.

DrCarrotTail

I wasn't saying you were going to cross anything just looking at what you have and trying to be realistic about the possibilities. From what you have pictured you have one confirmed Tremper, one Bell and a possible RW and the rest are unknown. The mack snow a I said looks gorgeous. If he were mine I would pick out a female with high white traits or some speckled yellow like yours has (whichever you like more) and cross him to that. The rest are either male or look like they have some sort of hypo in them which would take away lots of what I like in his markings. The other choice I would make would be to pick up a known tremper or raptor make - a snow if you can find one for the snow tremper het raptor female. That pair would give you a super cool wide range of possibilities (super snow raptors, trempers, snows etc - 16 different possibilities I believe!) and be tons of fun. I'm just saying what I would do - what you do is 100% your choice!

Personally I don't test breed geckos unless its to prove out a possible het that a breeder told me might be there. In order to prove they have no hets you need to produce 60 babies (20 with a visual from each strain) that are not albino. I don't have the time or resources to deal with extra babies like this so I choose not to. If you want to put in the time and effort to do so by all means go ahead :)

Kjenkins

No I didn't think you thought I was just gonna pair her off and hope for the best. lol I was just explaining how I got her. I really don't know anything about the Rainwater besides what the guy at the store told me. Personally I think the guy was on crack. lol My Tremper came from southeastern exotics there really nice people. Now you said there were fetchers in my Albinos that didn't look right. What was it about my Bell that looks diff just wondering I want to learn everything I can about what to look for. My Bell is extremly briight tho he has this real dark purple color,bright yellow,and pink. He is a really pretty boy. I totaly agree with you tho about my Mack Snow and my Tremper and I would like to find a female Snow for him to. I'm not in a hurry tho I'm just starting slow so I can learn and see were I can take it. Also another Q is it possible for me to get Tangelos from my Tremper and my Tangerine eventually I'm a lil confused on that one. My husband loves them and I know that is what is breed to get them. No I like hearing what you have to say like I said it helps me learn. lol

DrCarrotTail

I believe tangelo is a bloodline/combo morph developed by Ron Tremper. I don't think you can breed them without starting off with tangelos. You can, however, line breed your tangerine to look like them but it will take years if not decades to achieve something similar.

DrCarrotTail

I don't think I said anything about your Bell. I don't work with Bell and don't have much first hand experience with them. Aside from those that have really light pink eyes or those with really dark markings (and even these are characteristics that may not be reliable if the animal comes from a heavily line bred project) I can't tell most apart from Trempers.

Kjenkins

Ok I just know you breed a Tremper and a Tangerine to get Tangelos and yes it is a Ron Tremper morph. My Bell came from Reptile Industries. Mark Bells company in Florida I have spoken with Steve Mui who Confirmed my Bell for me. My Mack Snow also came from there. I loved dealing with them there awesome people and so nice to talk with. I really didn't even mean to end up with all 3 albinos I think I lot my mind at some point and it just kind of happened. lol

I really just want to stay with breeding my Mack Snow, Tremper, Bell, Tangerine, Jungle, and I have a baby stripe no were near ready yet but want to add her in to the mix later. I like my Others there just not as interesting to me as far as what I can do with them. I mainly want to stick to the above list and even add a few more females that would go well with them.

So I'm thinking I need a female snow like you suggested, a female Bell and maybe a RAPTOR or another Tremper.

The Jungle I can pair just to get the pattern. I may pair him with the stripe later. I just love that funky pattern. That is my goal for all of them the funkier the pattern the better. I just love it. It just gives them so much character. Can you think of anything else i may want to add to the mix I'v explained. I'm open to anything. :D

Visit our friends