Why all the regen tails?

brillobee

Glittering Geckos
As the title says, why do all the aft pictures that people post and all the ones I see in the stores have regenerated tails? These can't all be wild caught. Do they lose their tails easier than Leos?

gixxer3420

I sold 6 fatties over the weekend that had all re-gen tails and I house every gecko in its own tub by its self. Fatties drop their tails much easier that leos. The 6 that I sold that had regen tails, it happened when I opened their tubs. Crazy but thats what you deal with in breeding fatties. I produce about 200 and 6 dropped their tails.

gixxer3420

No, I t was my fault I was opening the tubs extremely quick trying to get all the geckos fed quickly. I should have slowed down feeding and it wouldnt have happened I'm sure. So I put them blame all on me.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Mine have freaked out out the sound of the misting bottle too :main_rolleyes: but no lost tails yet *knock on wood*

JdiLb

This is interesting. I've just been getting into geckos more and I've only seen Iguanas lose tails (and they don't let them up very easily), but I do agree that in many pictures the tails are re-gen'd. Being as soft and fragile as they seem it doesn't surprise me, but I don't think they look bad or hint at mistreatment.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Remember, its "Africa import season"...so there is an increase of WC fat tails, and most do come with regen tails.

As for AFTs as a whole, to say they drop their tails more easily than a Leo is false (at least in my experience).
I have been breeding fat tails for the past 3 years, and have had hundreds of babies. I have only had one adult drop its tail. I have kept babies in pairs and housed alone. Same things with adults.

Last edited:

gixxer3420

I produce about 800 leos and 200 fatties every year. In the 5 years I have been breeding fatties and 15 years Ive been breeding leos I have had 7 fat tails drop their tails and no leos. With what I work with fatties drop their tails more than leos.

Visit our friends