Why isnt he eating!!!

T

Trevor's Leo

Ok, well i got my leo 2 weeks ago. He ate last thrusday, but only 3 mealies. I have tried since but hasnt even showed any interest in them!:wall:

10g set up
90 on hot side- room temp on cool

HELP!:help::help::help::help::help::help:

T

Trevor's Leo

and he also doesnt doo much- mainly sulks in his hot hide from when i see him.

Shera

Does he get light in the daytime, or is he in the dark all the time?

I was having this problem with my girls all last week. They just wouldn't eat. I decided they must be hibernating because they were hiding out all the time, when they used to hang out in the tank a lot. It's a bit cool in the house, but the tank temps are good. Then it dawned on me that I was keeping them in the dark all day and night. yesterday I tried opening the curtains first thing in the morning so they would get natural light in the room all day and they were coming out of their hides during the day. This morning they both ate :) I don't know if it was a coincidence or not. I was somehow under the impression that they didn't need any light because they are nocturnal, but I guess they do benefit from having distinct day and night.

T

Trevor's Leo

Hmmm.... ya, i have a towel on the side towards the window!!!!!

I will take if off and see what happens. Then i will get light in the day!

Thanks Shera!

phoneguy

Are you leaving fresh meal worms in every night? They respond to the movement of fresh worms and its best to put them in at night when your Leo is more active. You may have tried this already but you can place a worm outside the entrance to his hide. If he sees the movement it may entice him to eat it.

T

Trevor's Leo

Are you leaving fresh meal worms in every night? They respond to the movement of fresh worms and its best to put them in at night when your Leo is more active. You may have tried this already but you can place a worm outside the entrance to his hide. If he sees the movement it may entice him to eat it.

Yep- i put in fresh each nite. I tried putting them at his hide last night. I will try tonight when i go to bed.

Ehatcher

Ive had geckos go up to 3 weeks or better without eating and not lose a gram. I wouldnt worry to much with it unless you notice something very unusual or you can visually see that the gecko is losing weight.

Ehatcher

Well now that I have read that you have had the gecko for 2 weeks. Do you try to handle the gecko frequently? He could likely be stressed from the transfer from environment to environment, even more so if the gecko is young.

T

Trevor's Leo

its been a little over 3 weeks. he has not eaten since last friday. but still, i am not handling him. the only time he can contact me is when i try to feed or when i clean the cage (from when he pooped last weekend after he ate.

mindgamer8907

Can you offer more info? It would help a lot. Do you know about how old your gecko is? How much does he weigh (grams please)? How thick is his tail/ how long is he? What is his setup like? Are you putting the food in front of him or in a dish? Does he have a calcium dish? Does he have fresh water daily? Where did you get him from (a chain store or a breeder or any other place)? Does he have a cool hide as well as a warm hide? What is your substrate? These will help us identify if there is a real problem or just a goofy gecko (sorry alliteration is fun).

Also, if at all possible I'd raise the temp to about 95 F or even as high as 99 F (others may say higher, that's ok too).

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Visit our friends