Wild Chuckwalla Housed with Bearded Dragon

Eyepatchtan

Hey all! So, I felt the chat section was most likely the right place to put this. My story starts with me talking with the trombone player in my school's band, and we both care for reptiles, however, I quickly regretted thinking of him as a responsible owner. Maybe he simply didn't know it was wrong, but before you make a decision as large as the one he did, you should know prior, not grab on impulse. Currently my outline of this story is extremely vague, so let me work on that. I live in Arizona, as some know, there are plenty of reptiles to be found all over our state, and that'll help you understand why I take issue with this incident. One day, a family member of his found a wild chuckwalla while on the job, and swiftly grabbed it and took it home. If that's not bad enough, the chuckwalla was housed with their captive-bred bearded dragon. Let me state something, he knows nothing about their care, and since I don't either, it was difficult to explain why not to take a wild animal, which could be riddled with parasites, and house it with another species of reptile. I want to hear all of your opinions on this. I want to know how bad this could be, they don't know the gender of the chuckwalla, and I don't know the gender of the beardie. Even if they are both female, how bad could this get? I don't know if he's too keen on letting the poor thing go back to the desert, most likely because he admits it's about the novelty of having a chuckwalla. Please post your opinions below if you think I'm overreacting on this or not. He has little reptile experience, admittedly, I don't have vast amounts of it either, but I'm pretty sure this is not a wise choice for either animal.

321ttocs

If the chuckwalla was captured as a baby it would be better because it would be easier to have it get used to captive food, but since it is wild it will probably not want to eat home found bearded dragon food. If it is cared for it could make for a deasent pet, but DO NOT HOUSE IT WITH THE BEARDED DRAGON!!! Also take it to a vet to have it checked for parasites, but dont tell them how you got it. Also if you release it back into the wild after caring for it, it will forget how to act in the wild making it harder for it to survive. So keep it or put it back immediately. Either way it could adapt to work. I would know beacuse I used to study wild vs tame animals and there interactions with humans, that is what got me to buy a monitor lizard. Also some states have laws about capturing wild animals, but so lang as it is kept in good care I say whatever!!! Just to be safe look it up though, and be aware.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Eyepatchtan

I'm sorry? Did I not convey the point that this is not my bearded dragon, chuckwalla, it's not my anything. In fact, I wouldn't have even taken it in the first place. I just want to know people's opinions on this. If it's so concrete that they forget how to survive I'm sure there's a sanctuary or two around here. If not, they better put it on craigslist or leave it to me. Please remember, I am not the person that took the chuckwalla! Sorry if I come across as rude, but you should have at least read my 4th sentence to realize that this is simply a topic I want to discuss.

Visit our friends