Worm staple?

Chevalrose

So when I do get a gecko, I was planning on using a worm staple available in the tank 24/7. I was considering superworms, but I read that phoenix worms are a really good feeder. Anyone have any experience/advice with using phoenix worms as a staple vs superworms (or even silkies)?

I suppose I could even cycle them around every week or so. For one gecko, how many feeders should I buy at one time?

Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A variety of feeders is always good. Some geckos are picky,. I tried phoenix worms and the geckos were not impressed. They are pretty small and don't move that much.

Aliza

sammer021486

I have not used phoenix worms, but have heard from people who have that the geckos can be picky about eating them. Unless you get your own colony going, I think that they would be a very expensive feeder.

Silkworms are good and when my LPS carries them I try to pick some up, but it depends on the gecko on whether or not they will eat them.

I use a staple of either superworms or mealworms, depends on the gecko. I have some that only eat supers, some that only eat mealies, and some that eat both. I use crickets as my filler in the diet, I buy 500 crickets and feed them off, once they are gone I wait a while to buy more crickets as the supers and mealies are so much easier to feed and keep longer.

OneFootedAce

A variety of feeders is always good. Some geckos are picky,. I tried phoenix worms and the geckos were not impressed. They are pretty small and don't move that much.

Aliza

hm, I've had the opposite experience with phoenix worms, yes they are kinda small, but in my experience, they move a TON, and wriggle around like crazy lol, all of mine like them, except for one who is just a picky eater in general.

Phoenix worms are great feeders IMO, very high in calcium, but are on the pricey side...

Shera

I use superworms but I don't leave them in the tank 24/7. I bought this dish and the supers escape easily from it, so I just feed them the supers one at a time.

Visit our friends