worst shed ever!

geckogirlxo

- (very moist) moist hide on cool side, temp 82, warm side 93-95

peanuts "head" shed is stuck over his eyes and i think hes having trouble because he started shedding two days ago and its still there. it has made some progress and he can see a little bit but its greatly impairing his vision and his ability to eat. I want to help him remove it but with his lack of vision i really dont want to stress him out more than needed, is there a way I can make this as least stressful as possible but still help him out? I know, great christmas right? anyways, im TERRIBLY worried about peanut and i hope someone can help me in this time of need.
- should i give him a warm water soak?
- if so, how long do i keep him in & do I rub the skin?
- if not, how long do I wait until I should?
- what if he cannot get it off?

I just want to help him guys and i know that you can help me. this is when i need you the most. Im going to try to post pictures after our xmas dinner.

roger

- (very moist) moist hide on cool side, temp 82, warm side 93-95

peanuts "head" shed is stuck over his eyes and i think hes having trouble because he started shedding two days ago and its still there. it has made some progress and he can see a little bit but its greatly impairing his vision and his ability to eat. I want to help him remove it but with his lack of vision i really dont want to stress him out more than needed, is there a way I can make this as least stressful as possible but still help him out? I know, great christmas right? anyways, im TERRIBLY worried about peanut and i hope someone can help me in this time of need.
- should i give him a warm water soak?
- if so, how long do i keep him in & do I rub the skin?
- if not, how long do I wait until I should?
- what if he cannot get it off?

I just want to help him guys and i know that you can help me. this is when i need you the most. Im going to try to post pictures after our xmas dinner.

If his shed is near his head/eyes get a qtip and soak it in water,hold him and gently rub the qtip over the shed thats peeling.get some tweezers and see if u can grab the shed and gently remove it.Try for 15 mins and if u still havent got it try a couple of hours later.U need to get the skin off.He might get stressed a touch but he'll get over it.Try this and get back to us on how u made out

prettyinpink

I'm not sure how much shed is stuck so a pic would be great. Other than that what roger suggested and maybe try to get as much of the shed soaked as you can, it'll come off. Be gentle though...you don't want to rip it off before it's ready. Kinda like those kid tattoos, you have to soak it with a washcloth completly otherwise it won't work.

Merry Christmas :p

GeckoGurl

I had to soak mine once and she had stuck on her legs and head... I went in the bathroom and started a hot shower then got a bowl for her to sit in with luke warm water and closed the door so that the steam from the shower would help. May help you if its a bad case of stuck shed.. Good luck! (Also I believe I have seen a thread where mineral oil could be used in assistance as well)

Bbugs

Animal Addict
What Roger said is very good advice. I had stuck shed and I used a warm paper towel instead if a q tip. I would hold it on the shed for a few minutes, and after a while I would gently rub down on the shed. Eventually it goes away. Best of luck!

geckogirlxo

Well, when i got home the shed was gone and now his eyes look terrible! i will post a picture once i figure out how to make my pictures smaller but his right eye is really wide and his left eye is partially closed but doesnt look cloudy. :( he was inside his very moist hide for days, how could this have happened?!

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
If all the shed are gone, change out the very moist substrate, you don't want him on overly wet substrate for too long. If he has shed debris in the eye, flush it out with pure saline water. Next time if he has stuck shed, wipe it with wet cotton square/tissue/q-tip, then gently pull it off for him with your fingers or tweezers (if you're confident). The "fresher" the retained shed, the easier it will come off. So do give your gecko a thorough check everytime he sheds, don't let retained shed stay there for too long.

Last edited:

geckogirlxo

alright thank you! i was just worried because i heard it is bad to take it off before its ready and i don't know how to tell if its ready or not. I tried a cotton q tip for a second and it was really shiny skin under neath and the skin gave a little bit but it seemed like it wasn't budging and i didn't want to just rip it off. is there a way i can tell if it is ready to come off?The whiter it is?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
The skin on the snout doesn't really turn white from my experience. Since its already 2-3 days from his shed, my guess is the skin is most likely ready to come off. Don't pull if you're worried; wet a cotton square or tissue and wipe a little harder towards the snout direction. The edge should roll up and start to peel.

Rosalie Spot

I had a gecko that had terrible sheds and eventually got the same problem. Make sure you rinse it out with saline and get everything clean. An eye infection for a leopard gecko is much more deadly than it is for a human.

Visit our friends