Would Dubias stay in a feeder dish?

Latlaw

I'm thinking of the one from LLLReptile (disposable and reusable) They have a plastic lip that makes it impossible for the worms to escape. I'm wondering if they would work for Dubias?

serialzombie

Ἴκαρος
I use glazed ceramic cat food dishes. Approximately one inch high.

Large Dubia can get out, as can smaller ones if there are enough for them to piggy back over the side.

TheRed

Like serialzombie said, my bigger Dubias can get out no problem, but little ones usually can't. I usually just put them on their backs in the middle of the cage and my gecko eats them up pretty quick if she's hungry. Most of them eventually get turned back over but it takes awhile.

jermh1

I use small stainless dishes from the pet department of W mart they are $0.99 each, the other thing I do is squish their heads and lay them on their backs around the cage, it should prompt the most fussy eaters. I also use red solo cups cut down to about an inch with something next to it for hatchlings to climb up and see inside.

MitsuMike

So random question, why don't you want the geckos to chase the prey? I understand why i don't do it for snakes (biting and scaring and other damage a rat can do) but a roach or a worm to a gecko, I just don't see any harm.

cucarachafea

I have the same problem. I normally hand feed my leos when I get home from work, which used to be aournd 2 or 3 in the morning. But now we have more orders to fill, are out getting out later and I'm more tired when I get home, so hand feeding has become a pain.

I've been looking at the feeder dishes at LL reptile and wanted to give them a try, but im worried about the dubias getting out of the dish. I have slidding doors on my tanks so im also worried about them getting out of the tank. My wife will kill me if she finds one.

JordanAng420

So random question, why don't you want the geckos to chase the prey? I understand why i don't do it for snakes (biting and scaring and other damage a rat can do) but a roach or a worm to a gecko, I just don't see any harm.

To answer this question, some geckos, like my little Nova, seem to only want to chase prey between the hours of about 2am and 6am. Now I love my geckos, but gimme a break, I gotta sleep. LOL. A dish provides food when the human can't be available.

Visit our friends