Announcing the Gecko Feast Photo Contest!

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
It's time for our first ever gecko photo contest! In this contest all members are encouraged to submit ONE photo of their gecko(s) while eating! After 2 weeks of submissions, we will all vote for our favorite photos and captions. You can vote based on funniness, photography skill, etc. The photo with the most votes will receive a $50 gift certificat to DrsFosterandSmith.com !!!

Members can enter by posting their gecko photo in this thread. Please do not use this thread to comment on photos. Instead, post your commentary on this thread.

Contest Rules:

- Your photo must be of a living gecko!

- Only one submission per member. Choose your photo carefully! Please don't try to work the system by registering multiple accounts. Cheaters will be disqualified from this and future contests.

- All photos must be submitted (posted in this thread) before December 17, 2011 at 11:59pm PST.

- Please use this thread for submissions only. No comments, just photos. If you have a question or comment use this thread.

Thank you to all who enter and good luck!

Maryelizabeth

3 Year Member
Here is Sherbet, eating her favorite treat!!

DSC_0035.jpg

Geckomaster743

Sorry if the Graphics aren't good. You can barley see my Oldest Gecko ( Achillies ) Eat the Worm :p

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 98

Maryelizabeth

3 Year Member
Just a Recommendation Don't feed Leopard Gecko's Pinkies. A Gecko can Choke on those - The Pinkie Faces a Horrible Death :( - And Its VERY bad for there Digestion. Just a Suggestion your Gecko your Choices..

Like I wrote. Its a treat. She gets about one a year. Usually around her birthday.
She is 7 or 8 years old and has never had any health problems. I really dont think its anything to get
worried about, but thank you for your suggestion.

Geckomaster743

Like I wrote. Its a treat. She gets about one a year. Usually around her birthday.
She is 7 or 8 years old and has never had any health problems. I really dont think its anything to get
worried about, but thank you for your suggestion.
Ohhhh Every Year! That makes a lot of Sense no problem! Some Serious breeder's don't know what they are doing ( No Offence ) and they over feed Pinkies. They are way too hard to digest if they are given commonly. What your doing isn't wrong as long as you don't feed them Pinkies Every day + Every week. I can guarantee it would increase the breeding speed but give 50% more Health Complication Risk! Always keep that in mind :)

Maryelizabeth

3 Year Member
Ohhhh Every Year! That makes a lot of Sense no problem! Some Serious breeder's don't know what they are doing ( No Offence ) and they over feed Pinkies. They are way too hard to digest if they are given commonly. What your doing isn't wrong as long as you don't feed them Pinkies Every day + Every week. I can guarantee it would increase the breeding speed but give 50% more Health Complication Risk! Always keep that in mind :)

I totally agree.
And I never plan on breeding her. But she is my baby and she gives me this little cute face like "im soooooo hungry mommy" and just sometimes I have to give in... :)

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I like to give my breeding females a pinkie a couple of times during the peak of their laying. They have never had problems, and when they're laying two eggs every few of weeks they get really hungry!

And remember, in the wild, most reptiles are opportunistic feeders, meaning they'll eat whatever they can catch.

Geckomaster743

I like to give my breeding females a pinkie a couple of times during the peak of their laying. They have never had problems, and when they're laying two eggs every few of weeks they get really hungry!

And remember, in the wild, most reptiles are opportunistic feeders, meaning they'll eat whatever they can catch.
So they can end up eating rats? I just don't want my Gecko's sick because if they ever die.... I'll be Crushed X_X
Makes me Feel bad just thinking about it. But any way when they get old enough to swallow Pinkies with out Coughing them out i may try giving them 1. Where do you get them from, Are they alive?

Taiga

3 Year Member
So they can end up eating rats? I just don't want my Gecko's sick because if they ever die.... I'll be Crushed X_X
Makes me Feel bad just thinking about it. But any way when they get old enough to swallow Pinkies with out Coughing them out i may try giving them 1. Where do you get them from, Are they alive?

I personally will not feed live rodents, but that is a personal preference. My rats and mice would never look at me the same! :eek:

But yes, you can feed PINKIES, I would honestly never feed anything larger to a leopard gecko. Even a giant, as the mice developing bones and cartilage can cause impactions if fed too often, or too large. You can go to many pet stores, and ask if they have pinkies. Live I have heard they are from .25-.75 each, and sometimes larger reptile stores have special tanks just for those guys.

You can also buy them frozen, and thaw them out. There are very many sellers who carry these, even my local petsmart and petco have them. They range from $3-8 depending on the amount in the case.

As for me, I will stick to roaches, mealies, phoenix worms, and waxworms. ^^

Geckomaster743

I personally will not feed live rodents, but that is a personal preference. My rats and mice would never look at me the same! :eek:

But yes, you can feed PINKIES, I would honestly never feed anything larger to a leopard gecko. Even a giant, as the mice developing bones and cartilage can cause impactions if fed too often, or too large. You can go to many pet stores, and ask if they have pinkies. Live I have heard they are from .25-.75 each, and sometimes larger reptile stores have special tanks just for those guys.

You can also buy them frozen, and thaw them out. There are very many sellers who carry these, even my local petsmart and petco have them. They range from $3-8 depending on the amount in the case.

As for me, I will stick to roaches, mealies, phoenix worms, and waxworms. ^^
I agree. Im Probley not going to Feed my Gecko's Pinkies... Mine are way to small!

Visit our friends