any ideas?

bluevapor

this one is from a male with rust colored spots x raptor. why is it so light in color? mom is a weird skin colored raptor.all the other babys from these two are also light in color or tangs.is this line bred snow?

_ranchu_

well i hope you can also post a picture of the mother because that could be a snow raptor :) or better post both parents if possible. it can help our experts here answer your question for you

***im not an expert but for what i've observe there are snow raptors that just look like a faded raptor with the tail all white

bluevapor

the parents

heres mom and dad.pics are from last year. the female was thin when i got her last year.i havent gotten any albinos or eclipse from this male.mom has spots on her tail.at the time i thought she was a snow raptor but everyone said no.

jbs81890

That little guy looks snowy to me. I would say mom is a snow raptor. So it's a Mack snow het raptor

bluevapor

Is it possible mom is a gem snow raptor? I have never worked with gems.Her head and body say snow but those specks on the tail throw me for a loop. Shouldnt she have a white tail?Ill post some pics of her other babies friday after work

bluevapor

the other egg hached

its pale too. here is a pic of it. and i also posted some of the othr hatchlings from them. it looks like i get the whole mix both normal coloed,both pale, and one of each! must be snow. so does anyone think its Gem and not Mack?

bluevapor

After doing some research on the leopard gecko wiki and putting 2 and 2 together.Ive came to the conclusion that the light colored babies are hypo snows.I dont know if they are Mack or Gem though?.I think some of the tang looking older babies i posted are maybe creamcicles or almost creamcicles.Mom was from JMG.What do you think?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think it's impossible to know for sure whether an adult gecko is a snow or not since they usually yellow and the only way to know for sure is to prove it out. I have a snow blizzard who has produced offspring with extremely light yellow/white coloring, to the point where last season I wasn't sure if some were snow or not. I held back one of her offspring (het tremper het blizzard) and bred her back to her tremper father. She also is producing very light offspring. I'm pretty sure one of the 5 she's produced so far (the only non-albino) is a snow but it's been very hard to tell. I'll get pictures of that one up maybe tomorrow. The original snow blizzard was bred to a hypo Mack snow and has so far produced one snow stripe.

Aliza

bluevapor

Cool id love to see it.Im going to breed one of the light colored males back to mom.I should get some raptors.and if they are snow i should get more snows and maybe ss.If they are Gems does Gem x Gem make supers?

bluevapor

here is some updated pics of all the one i posted.one has a cool orange ring around the tail, and another has a nice head pattern with a heart.at this age they are always looking different.so anyone still say snow?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Unfortunately it gets less easy rather than easier to tell whether they're snow as they get older. I had one like the last for several years that was definitely a Mack Snow.

Aliza

justindh1

So hypo is taking out the yellow color that it should normally have?

A hypo is just a reduction of melanin which can be black or brown pigment in a gecko. People want to put a certain number of spots that a gecko can have before it is called a hypo but I think you can't put an exact number on it. Hypos will hatch out with lighter brownish bands instead of the typical black or dark brown.

bluevapor

I know why the bands are light brown instead of black,what i want to know is why the bands which are normally yellow are almost white?These have less color than a normal.Since hypo is a reduction of black pigment they should have normal or slightly better yellow.These have less.almost a dirty white.They look like a linebred snow to me.

Visit our friends