calci-sand

pussmunky

I know theres alot of debate about sand with leos but my local reptile shop said theyd be fine and until i get a hold of some slate its the only thing ive got for my new tank... but.ive just put my leos in and the smaller of the 2 seems to be eating it... is this normal? dont want him gettin impaction! :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Dimidiata

Calci sand has this unique ability to be exspecialy good at causing impaction. You have papper towels dont you? or news papper.

Dimidiata

Something thicker then tissue, you dont want the UTH to burn them or over heat it. Newspapper, pappertowels(layered) and constrution papper are what ive used.

Dimidiata

Although HomeDepot is normaly carrying more variety they dont (or atleast as i was told by mine) cut tile. Lowes does though. Im going to be getting my tile from HD and having it cut at lowes.

pussmunky

oh, well what would you suggest then? just i think paper towels look abit scruffy... theyre on wood chips atm and they seem to do okay on it so maybe just continue using that?

Dimidiata

Woodchips are also a no. Any loose substrate is basicly a no for leos, 1 they may try to eat it(they are weird). 2. wood can give splinters(lame reason, i know). Slate tile, papper towels, newspapper, construction papper, vinyle tiles(stick on ones) all work. Just make sure that stick on tiles dont have any adhesives on them.

J&K's Lemy

Kreacher
I use slate and moss
when I first had my Lemy I was using cali sand and I did get her impacted
changed it to slate and moss. Ain't had an impaction issue since

pussmunky

just cant seem to find anywhere to get slate from... bought some other day and its over an inch thick so thats no good as the uth wont heat it up...

pussmunky

just been back to the shop and she told me its perfectly fine for the geckos to eat the calci-sand and its just another form of calcium... is this right?

J&K's Lemy

Kreacher
no it has calcium thats good but the other stuff(limestone, coral) don't digest quickly enough and creates impaction
this happened to my gecko and it ain't a good thing. Lemy got lucky that we spotted the issue real early. we changed it she has not been impacted since

with slate its easy to just break it up yourself. It can break up into smaller more usable chunks. It kinda shatters if you slam it on the steps outside. (If you have concrete or stone steps)

Last edited:

Visit our friends