calci-sand

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
just been back to the shop and she told me its perfectly fine for the geckos to eat the calci-sand and its just another form of calcium... is this right?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Absolutely not. Calcium sand is extremely deadly for two reasons:

1) Calcium sand clumps when it's wet and doesn't dissolve. So imagine what that's like sitting in your gecko's intestines?

2) It contains calcium, which geckos are naturally and instinctually attracted to. Even when provided additional supplements, the gecko still could purposely ingest some of the substrate for its supplemental values, only facilitating impaction.

If you cannot find slate tile, just use paper towel. It may not look as nice as some of the substrates out there, but it's 100% impaction free. In my opinion, the health of the gecko completely outweighs the visual appeal of the enclosure.

im faster

Should Slow Down
500full.jpg

STOP listening to pet stores...
they have a vested intrest in getting you to buy things.. theymake money.. why would they tell you to go some where else...

CALCIUM SAND IS THE WORST SUBSTRATE ON THE MARKET!!!!!!!!!!!!
they will WANT to eat the sand make the risk of impaction GREATER!!!!

DO NOT use anything loose.. (moss is ok IF ITS IN A HIDE!!!!)

DO cover the floor.. if you want it to look nice get tile like everyone is saying if not use paper towel..

did you NOT watch the video? do you wnat you gecko to end up like that?

pussmunky

no... she also tried to persuade me into repti-carpet but i heard some bad stuff about that aswel so not getting that either

Owens

Island Reptiles
reti carpet can be ok, the danger is if you gecko goes to eat something off it and gets his teeth stuck on the carpet

Dimidiata

I use papper towel in my tank currently, it looks great imo. Its a solid white ground, i also have some decor, waterdish, hides in there so its pretty well covered. Its also insanley easy to clean.

Owens

Island Reptiles
you can wash repti carpet the same as laundry, throw in washer with hot water and some detergent and voila, clean carpet. I use it in one of my large tanks but feed the occupants with a dish.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
For Heaven's sake! HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO REPEAT OURSELVES OVER THE PAST 15 YEARS? Any kind of sand, especially calcium-sand, is not acceptable. Period. Please use the "Search" function of this website a read all the information that has been given over and over and over again on this topic. Sorry to sound as grumpy as I am feeling right now, but this is getting ridiculous.

This is what can happen to your gecko if kept on Calci-Sand or particulate substrates:

impaction.jpg

pussmunky

ok ok i understand, no sand... im grateful for all the advice and id rather see my leos happy and in good health then like in the picture... just annoying when the reptile shops try sell you it and for the search feature, il stop being so lazy :thumbup:

Russellm0704

ok ok i understand, no sand... im grateful for all the advice and id rather see my leos happy and in good health then like in the picture... just annoying when the reptile shops try sell you it and for the search feature, il stop being so lazy :thumbup:

Ha no worries, we all have gotten chewed out a time or two for not using the search function. I'm just happy that you came here and corrected the problem. Feel free to ask any questions you want and dont be afraid of getting chewed out. (they wont come through your computer and jump at you lol)

Visit our friends