Do you see the egg?

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
is it normal for a female to get sluggish/move less when ovulating?

I noticed a female has what appears to be a classic ovulation, and she is acting lethargic so I thought I'd see if everyone thinks shes okay. No male has been with her so if that's a sign of something wrong, at least she hasn't been bred.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, it's normal. One of my retired breeders just started ovulating and she's acting the same way.

Aliza

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
Yes, it's normal. One of my retired breeders just started ovulating and she's acting the same way.

Aliza

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that it's not unusual, and I think I'm just going to put her (Bold het Tremp) in with my G Project het Tremp and see what happens :D I'm so excited.

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
My female gets real sluggish right before she lays as well

Thanks for letting me know :D that'll be something I have to watch for when they progress towards laying eggs, And I say that because just a few hours ago I introduced a male to two females and instantly saw the male going after them, biting their tail up to their neck, and trying to mate. I am very excited.

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
You should just have your incubator already running and whatever medium you have in the incubator as well

I do thankfully, unless I have to change it to hold temps steadier but that doesn't seem like it'll be an issue because it only sways about 1 degree (it's a DIY one I build a few days ago honestly)

And one other thing I'd like to ask is if you've had a female stop eating completely for any breeding reason? Like when shes ovulating, in with a male, or gravid? I ask because one of the females that isn't with the 1.2 group stopped eating for no apparent reason. Hasn't been taking food from the forceps or anything, and she use to be quite vicious with food.

I leave food in a dish for them so maybe she's sneaking meals but, I don't know...

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have had females virtually not eat for a period of a breeding season and then get really hungry. As long as they aren't losing lots of weight or behaving in a way that triggers my "oh no" reflex, I don't worry about it anymore.

Aliza

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
I have had females virtually not eat for a period of a breeding season and then get really hungry. As long as they aren't losing lots of weight or behaving in a way that triggers my "oh no" reflex, I don't worry about it anymore.

Aliza

The only thing that's "odd" about her is that she will come out and look around/walk around, whereas before she was skittish and would hide 100% (except at feeding time) - but that can be attributed to ovulating (which it appears she is) or the fact that she was housed next to a male up to said ovulation which might have had her out looking for him lol, or she is just getting bolder in personality. Other than that, maybe she is hungry but I'm not offering the right food, which I plan to check ASAP (going to buy some waxworms/others, as I already have crickets/supers/mealies that she rejects)

So I'm going to assume it's nothing, because it's very likely to be one of those^ And it's interesting to hear that some females wont eat all breeding season o.0 I didn't think they'd do that lol

I have had females not eat during ovulation then get voracious once they are gravid.

This is what I'm hoping is happening!! I really hope that once it looks like she's no longer ovulating/has become gravid, that she'll return to her old normal self.

cowana

is it normal for a female to get sluggish/move less when ovulating?

I think my male Chong is dieting so he will look good for his ladies. [emoji12] He eats exactly 2 gut loaded/dusted mealworms a day. He's been doing this for about a week now, so I am just being careful to pick out the biggest, fattest ones I can.

Do males typically go off or slow down on food when paired with females? I would've thought all the gecko loving would make the boys more hungry.

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
I think my male Chong is dieting so he will look good for his ladies. [emoji12] He eats exactly 2 gut loaded/dusted mealworms a day. He's been doing this for about a week now, so I am just being careful to pick out the biggest, fattest ones I can.

Do males typically go off or slow down on food when paired with females? I would've thought all the gecko loving would make the boys more hungry.

From everything I've read/been told, both males and females may stop eating or slow down during breeding season for various reasons: Some males get so interested in the girls that they don't want to eat, or they may just eat as normally or reduce their food intake just a bit like your boy appears to be doing. Some of the girls will stop eating during ovulation/for the whole season, or will just slow down, sometimes they will just eat as normal ect.

It's all normal though.

But besides that, I have one issue now though: I was reading that sphagnum moss can cause impaction/that geckos regularly eat it? is this true!? I was using the moss in lay boxes in preparation for eggs, because eco earth dries out too quickly, but I removed it a few hours ago because I almost had a heart attack reading that it can cause impactions...

What do you guys think? I kinda answered this in another thread where I decided I'd probably just go to Eco-Earth but I'd still like to hear if sphagnum moss is okay? just in case I have to use it from time to time (sometimes I run out of Eco Earth and have to wait a bit to get more, but I always have moss)

- Edit - http://geckoforums.net/f130-health-medications/77558-2.htm

Okay so.. that's it for the moss lol. Gonna get Eco-Earth tomorrow. -

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have had no problem using eco earth and find that I only have to moisten it again every week or so.

Aliza

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
Also, one of the females is definitely gravid but she is so much darker than usual.. I'm hoping that's normal too? Ever since ovulation shes been a lot darker.

fz2k60.jpg

Last edited:

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
So, I can certainly see it in person a lot better, and I don't like to restrain my animals unless it's life or death so I quickly raised her up a few times and took some photos, this one was the best unfortunately. But I'd like to know if you guys see the egg that I see? It's perfectly oval and higher up (so hopefully she has a second?)

33c2ih3.jpg

Let me know what you think :D

Visit our friends