Humid hide temperature?

Rurso01

I put about 100 degree damp paper towels (to compensate for the fact that it cools quickly) in a tupperware container on the warm side which is currently at 90-92. I know the humid hide is humid because theres condensation on the sides of the container which she enjoys licking. When I measured the temp of the humid hide it read about 75-80. Is this okay?

What temperatures are your humid hides so I know.

Last edited:

Jusselin

its fine....just make sure your tank temps are good and thats all you really need to worry about....dealt with this situation before myself. Water will eventually cool off, its almost impossible to keep it warm.

Rurso01

Okay good. Thanks for the reassurance. The cool side is room temperature is that okay? 72 ish on a normal basis. I read upper 70 but thats tough to accomplish as well

grboxa

try aiming for 75 if you can for air temp, for surface temp usually should be 75 night and 80 day on the cool side, just dont let it go below 75. Some will tell you air temp isnt important, some will tell you it is. I personally believe its important role for there immune sytem. If you want to raise your air temp a bit, a ceramic heater would do the job.

Last edited:

Rurso01

I am using the temperature gun on the actually damp paper towels. I haven't checked the humidity in the humid hide because in sure thats accurate. So a ceramic heater on the cool side will antics that good generate?

grboxa

Alot of people use a ceramic heater if they dont want to use light for supplement heating. You can also use a blue nightt bulb, which also allows you to be able to view them at night without disturbing there day/night cycle

Last edited:

cook75

I am using the temperature gun on the actually damp paper towels. I haven't checked the humidity in the humid hide because in sure thats accurate. So a ceramic heater on the cool side will antics that good generate?

You don't want to make the cool side hot. All you do is move the humidity hide to a warmer area. When they are wet it will cause body temp to drop so I make sure the humidity hide is in an area were it's 85 f air temp. Not over the heat mat though. Mine is towards the center.

grboxa

+1^. I have my moist hide in the middle. You dont have to necessarily put the heater or bulb right on the cold side, but position it mabye in the middle. Thats what I do, I use a blue bulb 24/7 to keep temperatures at around 78 constant and I position the light so it dosent dump all the heat on the cool side.

Jusselin

what size tank is it again? I have a 40 breeder at home and have 3 UTH's on the warm side....no extra heat needed it keeps the surface temp in the 90's and air temp in the 80's on the warm side and 75ish on the cool side.

edit: the reason i say that is because i dont want you to bake your leo lol

cook75

+1^. I have my moist hide in the middle. You dont have to necessarily put the heater or bulb right on the cold side, but position it mabye in the middle. Thats what I do, I use a blue bulb 24/7 to keep temperatures at around 78 constant and I position the light so it dosent dump all the heat on the cool side.

Just in case you meant your air temp is 78 through the whole tank. Because they have limited ability to control body temp, it's important that they have (POTR) preferred optimum temperature range for optimal health which is 77-90 going across their enclosures to choose from. You want their body temps to be within 80-90 to keep their immune systems and digestive system functioning their best. That is one of the reasons that some start refusing food during the winter because they are not being provided with the optimal range. It also makes them more susceptible to illness.
To add, I have one gecko who loves it at his 95f hide on the other hand I have another who would not ever go to his 95f hide and prefer his 92f hide. So that is why a large range and many hides are important.

Last edited:

Rurso01

what size tank is it again? I have a 40 breeder at home and have 3 UTH's on the warm side....no extra heat needed it keeps the surface temp in the 90's and air temp in the 80's on the warm side and 75ish on the cool side.

edit: the reason i say that is because i dont want you to bake your leo lol

I have a 20 gallon and have a 10/20 gallon UTH on the left side of the tank giving ranges from 85-92 on the entire left 1/3 of the tank. Majority is between 88-92 though. I haven't checked air temperature much on the warm side but I know the air temperature on the cool side is around 70 and the surface temperature around 71 or 72 most days/nights. Will just using a blue night time bulb 24/7 be sufficient to raise those temperatures both surface and air on the cool side to the appropriate temps?

grboxa

Just in case you meant your air temp is 78 through the whole tank. Because they have limited ability to control body temp, it's important that they have (POTR) preferred optimum temperature range for optimal health which is 77-90 going across their enclosures to choose from. You want their body temps to be within 80-90 to keep their immune systems and digestive system functioning their best. That is one of the reasons that some start refusing food during the winter because they are not being provided with the optimal range. It also makes them more susceptible to illness.
To add, I have one gecko who loves it at his 95f hide on the other hand I have another who would not ever go to his 95f hide and prefer his 92f hide. So that is why a large range and many hides are important.

I understand:main_thumbsup: I meant 78f as in cool side surface temp.

Rurso01

This is good to know. I know our gecko tends to never leave her one hide no matter where we put it. Its sorta unique it seems... we originally had the hide on the cool side and she would never leave and then we moved it to the warm side and she would never leave it lol...

As far as the air temperature in the tank, the cool side is probably way too cool at 70-72 but she only goes over there to go to the bathroom and at night to just explore. She never uses the hide there or the one in the middle of the tank but on a rare occasion. So I guess its safe to say our temperature range in the tank is 71-2 to 92-3 depending on our room temperature fluctuations.

I'm open to any and all suggestions but I would like to find some form of a consensus so I don't feel I'm guessing on this.

Based on my specific situation, ceramic bulb or blue nighttime bulb?

Will using either the ceramic or nighttime bulb be sufficient to heat the air and surface temps on the cool side to the appropriate temps and do I just rest the lamp with whatever bulb is suggested right onto the screen top?

Thanks for all the help!!

grboxa

I have a 20 gallon and have a 10/20 gallon UTH on the left side of the tank giving ranges from 85-92 on the entire left 1/3 of the tank. Majority is between 88-92 though. I haven't checked air temperature much on the warm side but I know the air temperature on the cool side is around 70 and the surface temperature around 71 or 72 most days/nights. Will just using a blue night time bulb 24/7 be sufficient to raise those temperatures both surface and air on the cool side to the appropriate temps?

I use a 50w blue bulb on my 20 gallon to reach 78-79, I clip it on the cool side but I have the fixture positioned so it dosen't just dump all the heat on the cool side. If I dont my temps go down to 72-73 so Im assuming should be suffecient for you aswell.:main_thumbsup:

Rurso01

Also, can I use the zilla temperature gun to check air temps also? I notice it reads a funny temperature unless I put it right against the warm side to which it reads accurate. Maybe that "funny" temperature is what the air temp is? Its always a good 10 degrees or so less when I hold it 6 inches from the ground as opposed to when I put the gun right near the surface.

Rurso01

I use a 50w blue bulb on my 20 gallon to reach 78-79, I clip it on the cool side but I have the fixture positioned so it dosen't just dump all the heat on the cool side. If I dont my temps go down to 72-73 so Im assuming should be suffecient for you aswell.:main_thumbsup:

Awesome! Good to know you had the same sort of temp readings before hand so now I hope to get the same response you got from the bulb. So you put it right in the middle of the tank? Hopefully this wont heat up the warm side temps too much.

grboxa

Ive been told that if you point a temp gun at the glass inside the tank , thats basically the air temp on that side . Ive heard people test with that method and compared it with readings of air temps ued by a actual thermometer and it was similar.

grboxa

Awesome! Good to know you had the same sort of temp readings before hand so now I hope to get the same response you got from the bulb. So you put it right in the middle of the tank? Hopefully this wont heat up the warm side temps too much.

blue bulbs give off less heat then other bulbs like the daylight bulbs and infared bulbs. If you put the light fixture right ontop of your screen lid it may be to hot. When you buy a lamp it provides you with a clamp(most do) so like I said before all I do is clamp the lamp on the cool side but aim the fixutre so it dumps the heat in the middle. The temps are fine for me and it dosent get to hot, but of course since your going to clamp you can fiddle with it and find what it is suitable..and since you have a temp gun it will be much easier to monitor temperatures. I would rather clamp mine in the middle, but If I did that I wouldnt be able to slide my lid to close.

Last edited:

cook75

As for the temps Gboxa' s solution should work for you. About the hide preference, the trick is to use the exact same hides on both sides:D
or similiar in security. If one feels more secure than the other they will choose that one over temps. get it?:main_yes:

Their mind set is: I want to feel secure, not seen in a tight space so predators can't reach me.

Last edited:

Visit our friends