My gecko is still very skinny and idk why...

Rainnovice93

I have two female leos. They're housed in a 55gallon tank. They get along fine...they eat on different schedules so they don't fight for food. They don't fight with each other they seem to enjoy being together honestly...They cuddle a lot. Im feeding Crickets with repashys calcium and mealworms and for this gecko i also feed waxworms (As much as they will eat of all of these). I see her eat food often. Shes been dewormed and been to the vet to be checked further for parasites and there is nothing.....she just wont get fat..shes growing length wise but is still very skinny like when I got her. Idk what else to do?.....Its the one thats a blizzard (so i've been told) 75594_540084806031959_1852937903_n.jpg 946321_568885543151885_191810031_n.jpg

Ozy

They aren't "cuddling" That just happens to be where the temp is most desirable so they are both there. Leopard Geckos don't like companions. They are solitary animals. I would separate them. Also it's not a Blizzard because I can see some faint spotting on her.

B&B Geckos

I have geckos that eat as much or more than my other geckos, but do not get fat. Some are very lanky with relatively thin tails. Like humans they have different body types and metabolism. As in humans, overfeeding leads to health issues. Feeding waxwork is like you or I eating twinkies ( lots of calories, but very few nutrients) and is discouraged because they can get hooked on them and refuse other feeders.

Last edited:

Rainnovice93

Ive had them for 4 or 5 months...they have doubled in size since i've had them they're 7-8 inches long I would guess. They are not usually on top of each other. Just in the bottom of the 3 layer hide. Usually the albino is in the moist hide and the other in the 3 layer hide. This one also is still afraid of me. So I haven't pushed her to try to hold her, just enough to sex her. The other will climb in my hand..I know some just don't like to be handled though I guess. She eats the wax worms really well. She doesn't like meal worms, never did but she will eat 2 or 3 crickets a day. Neither of them have ever showed aggression towards the other. If anything they ignore each other but don't seem bothered to be around each other.

Embrace Calamity

Wait, you said you have a 55 gallon tank. How many hides do you have? With two geckos, you should have 3 hides each. A 55 gallon should have plenty of hides so there isn't a ton of open space because that can stress them out, and she sounds like she's easily stressed.

Honestly, I would separate them. I'm willing to bet she would put on weight. If you do and she doesn't, you can always put her back in, but it's worth a shot. B&B is certainly right that not all geckos have the exact same body type, but she looks awfully thin.

~Maggot

Rainnovice93

About your leo:
- Sex (Female)
- Age & Weight (Maybe getting close to a year)
- How long have you owned your leo (about 6months)
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend) (given to me came from ++++++++. Other was from +++++.)

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo (She freaks out so not often)
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. (acts the same all the time. about like the healthier one)
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal)
- When was the last time he/she went
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on (since i got her.)

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size (55g)
- Type (glass tank)
- Type of substrate (paper towels)
- Hides, how many, what kind (2 cave like hides, 1 log hide, 1 box hide, 2 moist hides)
B) Heating
- Heat source (UTH)
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) (hot side is 88-90 cool side is 74ish usually)
- Method of regulating heat source (lamp dimmer)
- What are you using to measure your temps (thermometers on the floor and infrared thermometer)
- Do you have any lights (no)
C) Cage mates
- How many (1 female female)
- Describe health, or previous problems (no problems)

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (twice a day. As much as they will eat)
- How are you feeding (dish)
B) Supplements (Every feeding)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (Rapshy's)
- What are you gut loading food with (Fluckers Cricket Gutload, Water gel, and potatos)

DrCarrotTail

It's hard for me to tell how thin/fat she is from the side. If you could take a top down picture on the smaller one like you did with the larger it would make her condition more clear.

Embrace Calamity

The pic would be a good idea. Maybe it's just the angle and she's not actually as thin as she strikes me as. Would you be able to get a pic of the enclosure too by chance?

~Maggot

Rainnovice93

Yea they don't have more than a few inches to go between different hides. Shes active and eats fine. Just doesn't put on weight, She also "bit" me the other day when I was getting the water bowl lol. Like Ran at me bit my thumb and ran off...I was like oooookay then crazy. I mean her tail is at least 1/3rd of the size of the other ones Maybe closer to 1/4th the size... 100_1456.jpg

Rainnovice93

Oh i think shes skinner than the other pic makes her look. If she wasn't thaaat skinny I wouldnt be as concerned.

Embrace Calamity

She is beyond skinny. She looks absolutely emaciated. She should have a fecal done and be separated ASAP. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't around much longer with what bad shape she's in.

~Maggot

Rainnovice93

Shes honestly been like that since I got her. I did several fecals when I worked for a vet & nothing came up. Dewormed her anyway, and ive brought her in again and done another one and still nothing. Im having issues getting my tank pic to post. Having to resize it and stuff...

Last edited:

Embrace Calamity

Then I would still separate her ASAP. A gecko that's obviously in bad shape shouldn't be housed with another one anyway, and ones vastly different in size (in this case not length) shouldn't be kept together either. Being alone might reduce her stress level as well. I assume they tested for crypto while checking for other parasites? What's the yellow stuff all over the paper towel btw?

~Maggot

Ozy

You need to separate them NOW! If you feed by dish then how do you know the other one isn't just eating most if not all of the food. I'm willing to bet money she is getting bullied out of food. Leopard geckos do MUCH better when they are alone. If you don't separate she may starve to death. Her tail is horribly thin. PLEASE separate them for her sake! My leopard gecko is around a year old and this is what she looks like. She has always been housed alone. She is a Blizzard. :)

Attachments

• CAM00113_zps4377d526.jpg
    CAM00113_zps4377d526.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 4
  • CAM00108_zps7c352c7f.jpg
    CAM00108_zps7c352c7f.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Rainnovice93

Yes they tested for crypto and did a fecal float and direct. the printing is some kinda floral pattern on the paper towels. And the other one doesnt bully her i watch her eat everyday the tank is beside my bed. Ill borrow a 10gallon from my friend and see how it goes

B&B Geckos

I didn't realize how alarmingly thin she is in the first picture. So my first post doesn't really apply here. Her tail is wayyy thin...something is not right. If she's always been this thin and they've been housed together for 6 months the other would have been exposed to anything this one has by now. However, I would still separate them and monitor exactly how much she's eating and pooping and observe closely for signs of improvement or further weight loss (a scale would help greatly). If you find that she's losing weight, it'll be necessary to take it to the vet again. You may want to consider a different vet. If you don't have a second terrarium, you can use a divider to separate them and add another UTH or if the UTH is large enough place it under the center divider so that both can share it from their respective sides.

Last edited:

Visit our friends