New and have some questions!

prettyinpink

Just let her finish it. Maybe give her a nice soak for about 10mins. If she doesn't get it off then you can help her :) She should work it off if her moist hide is nice and humid/wet

Can't wait to see pics and gz on your new additions :)

Hankj

I got them from a kid in Lebanon. And I live in Kettering. I could post some pics with my cell phone but the quality is not good at all, when my friend comes over I'll take some pictures with his.

Should I be encouraging her into the moist hide or just let her get to it? It's one of those things you buy, exoterra probably, has a hole in the top that they climb in.

Hankj

Oh yeah and I just fed them. The juvenile ate at least three medium sized crickets maybe four and the adult at 2 maybe three.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
The exoterra hide is nice but she may be hesitant to use it, she may not... maybe if you have room in the tank you could consider also include a regular tupperware dish with some damp paper towels to make sure she has an alternative just in case. If you used the exoterra hide with another leo make sure you clean it really well to remove any possible smells of another leo to make sure it wouldn't put her off.

That's great that they're eating already. Congrats on the pick ups.

Last edited:

Psychotic4mb3r

Psychotic Gecko's
Im in miamisburg. My best friend lives in Kettering lol :). I wouldnt mind cell phone pictures :) I love seeing different leos haha. How many did you get?

Oh and id just watch the girl to see if she goes into the moist hide.. give her a few days and if nothing happens then id go ahead and make a 2nd moist hide out of a tupperware container.

Hankj

I bought the hide from the people I got the gecko from, but I washed it anyway.

Does your best friend go to Fairmont by chance?

Hankj

Ha cool, maybe I know her

I took a few pictures of the geckos with my phone but my friend just called me saying he was coming over after work so I'll take some pictures with his phone when he gets here!

Hankj

Also, I'm thinking it's not a blazing blizzard, the eyes aren't red at all.

And they aren't liking me holding them very much. They try to bite me. Do you think this is because I am new to them or because they weren't handled much by their previous owner?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
It could be a little of both. Stress of the new environment, not handled enough... it could be a lot of different things. Maybe try letting them settle in for about a week and refrain from holding them and feed with tweezers or feeding tongs to help them get use to you putting your hands into the tank, they could start making a positive association with you that way. I know it really helped with my leo with the hand feeding.

Hankj

Last edited:

prettyinpink

You really need to leave them alone for a little bit. If they're trying to bite you they are scared...just let them settle in for a bit, I mean you did just get them :p

Psychotic4mb3r

Psychotic Gecko's
There very cute but they look super skinny :(. Did they say what they where feeding them? id try getting them to eat mealworms if possible. Thats what my 2 where born and raised on.
But id def try to fatten them 2 up. But they both are very pretty :)

Hankj

Idk if you read what I said wrong or if you are just being sarcastic... either way I'm gonna take it as a no-go on the waxworms.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Using wax worms can kinda be a double edged sword. They are high in fat and can help putting weight on but too many and they might refuse other feeders, using them once a month, allowing them 5-6 in 1 feeding should be ok just as a boost/treat but using them as a staple generally isn't recommended. Putting weight back on a skinny leo should be a slow process to avoid problems like re-feeding syndrom depending on how emaciated they are/were. A consistant diet of good food and proper supplimenting should see your leos back on the road to good weight in no time. Also I would suggest superworms if the leos are big enough to handle it. Less feeders needed to accomplish the same nutrition for the most part but a lot less shell than you'd have because of having to feed so many mealies to get the same nutritional ration... know what I mean? Personally I'd be a bit worried with 2 underweight leos eating 15-20 mealies in a sitting (versus 3-4 superworms) after not being fed properly. It could risk constipation from all the shells, and possibly regurging. Not saying this WILL happen but it is a possibility if they're in ill health imo. As long as the superworms (or any feeders for that matter) are no larger around than the space between your leo's eyes he should be able to eat it just fine.

Just looked at the pix, and awww... that female is pretty emaciated. The male isn't so bad. I wonder if he was hogging all the food. Make sure you use some really good hygene practices during their quarintine period so you don't spred anything they might have (parasites etc) to your other leos. Are you gonna be housing them together or seperating? I would suggest seperating when you can because she is way to underweight and it could be a disaster if he tries to breed her. But if you do have to keep them together for a bit I would at east feed seperately to make sure she's getting all she needs.

Last edited:

Hankj

In the morph section we got another conversation of this matter going on and they believe she, or both of them, have a parasite. I found a picture of an albino that looks almost exactly like she does with parasites. My mom is gonna see if she can find any eggs or parasite in the feces and I'll prob take it into the vet to try and get some medication.

Visit our friends