Stomach is Blue - Scared

prettyinpink

I came home for lunch and checked my leos and noticed Fae's stomach is blue. I put her down right away because I didn't want whatever is wrong with her to get worse. I check them almost every night and this wasn't the case yesterday ...I don't think. :eek:

I can take a pic when I get home.

Is this internal bruising or is this something that's just fine and I'm over reacting? Please help me out here. :(

Thanks guys.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Not good if large area of her belly turns dark; I hope it's not the case.

prettyinpink

Yea, that's why I posted :p I'm not even gonna worry about figuring this out she's going in tomorrow. can someone let me kno how to handle/transport her - she's my baby, my most calm one so shell be easier than the others. Should I put a blanket under her? Hopefully ppl see this b4 tommorrow morning. I'm not going to touch her until she goes in.

Hope shell be be ok! :(

GeckoGurl

No idea guess it could be a few different things but I don't blame you for not wanting to handle her... I would get a little tupperware bowl with holes and paper towel in bottom.... if its real bright out Id through a paper towel over top so that the light does not stress her out on the way to the vet. Hope everything turns out okay at the vet. Will be waiting to see your update! Oh and if you are in real cold area I would be sure to warm up the car good so she will be warm on the trip. Good luck!

prettyinpink

Alright, I'm gonna put something soft down in a tupperware bowl. Really want to take a pic but I don't want to risk it, you know? I hope she'll be okay...sounds like someone doesn't want me getting a chinchilla (was going to save that news, but I'm going ot have to wait now)
Just not sure how this happened. :( I'm assuming blue = bruising? But I don't know how that could happen.

She'll be going in in the morning, So I'll probably be back noonish depending on what happens.

I'll keep you guys posted. Hope I don't come back $500 poorer

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Alright, I'm gonna put something soft down in a tupperware bowl. Really want to take a pic but I don't want to risk it, you know? I hope she'll be okay...sounds like someone doesn't want me getting a chinchilla (was going to save that news, but I'm going ot have to wait now)
Just not sure how this happened. :( I'm assuming blue = bruising? But I don't know how that could happen.

She'll be going in in the morning, So I'll probably be back noonish depending on what happens.

I'll keep you guys posted. Hope I don't come back $500 poorer

What was that about the chinchilla? What does a chinchilla have to do with your gecko?

I'll be thinking about you and Fae tomorrow...I hope all goes well.

electrofelt

Just wanted to add on a tip on to GeckoGurl's post about transporting. Keeping it dark will be a huge de-stresser for the leo and make the ride much more peaceful. Also, so you know if she is at a good temperature during the ride, drive in a tank top/tee-shirt. If you are a little chilly, then she is cold. I have tested this a bunch of times because I live in New England where it gets very cold and I use the temperature gun to monitor the temps, and it seems like it is a good trick.

I have no advice for the blue spot, but I really wish you the best of luck.

roger

I came home for lunch and checked my leos and noticed Fae's stomach is blue. I put her down right away because I didn't want whatever is wrong with her to get worse. I check them almost every night and this wasn't the case yesterday ...I don't think. :eek:

I can take a pic when I get home.

Is this internal bruising or is this something that's just fine and I'm over reacting? Please help me out here. :(

Thanks guys.

Hey pink did u switch her food or did she have a big meal.Are u sure its just not a dark spot.I know when my leos have aheavy meal their stomachs are dark.I hope its nothing serious keep us posted

roger

Since everyone is asking...Here are the pics I took through her tank so I didn't have to bug her, don't mind the moss.

Hey pink Imo i dont think u have anything to worry about.I think it s intestines.ive seen that same bluish tint on some of my leos on occasion.Best bet is to still get it checked out.i think your ok though

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
From the pictures, I don't think there is anything worrisome. Has she been eating less lately? When my females stop/slow down eating for a while, I see something like that too. I thought that darker shade was liver, but I could be way off. I've seen organ rupture or haemmorhage, large area of the belly will darken, defnately not your case. So don't worry! :)

P.s when I take my geckos out, I put each one in a small ventilated box, padded with paper towel. Keep them warm and dark, but make sure it's not too hot. I would bring extra paper towel too, because sometimes my geckos will poop during a bumpy ride.

Last edited:

smsararas2

I am pretty new to this but I KNOW that I have seen that on my leo and she is jut fine and very healthy. It comes and goes with her, Almost like some days with the right lighting it shows and other days it doesn't show.

I don't blame you for getting it checked though. I hope all is well, I have to admit I have been thinking about you because I know how worried I would be if one of my little babies were possibly sick!!!

Good luck!

fl_orchidslave

From the photo it looks like their guts, which changes according to food intake and digestion patterns, but if in doubt its always a good idea to have it checked out. If there is anything wrong it can be caught early and possibly treated. Translucent gecko skin and a recent shed shows things, like being able to see if a new hatchling is eating there will be a dark spot of food inside them.

prettyinpink

She went on food strike and wouldn't eat so i tried crickets then tried supers again because she mistaken my finger for a super, so i grabbed supers and she ate one. She hasn't eaten for a couple days (which isn't weird for her). But if that answers your questions.
I've never seen this on her, and her diet is about the same...so this is why I'm worrying. And I'm always checking them.

Stupid vets are full today! :main_angry: and to make it even better half the vets exotic vets aren't in on sat! To make it even better they're closed on Sunday!!!!!!! So hopefully you guys are right and it's nothing to worry about because i can't get her in until Monday. :( so I'll let you guys know Monday.
Second, some vet techs can be ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >.<

GeckoGurl

That is one thing that is very unfortunate... not many good exotic animal vets and then when you do find one always seems hard to get an appointment! Ugh! Well Hopefully everyone is right and there is nothing serious going on with her! I'll be checking in to see how progress is going.

prettyinpink

I hope so too. I just have a bad feeling...haven't been having much luck lately with everything.

Edited to add: She's been pooping, now it's just urnates because she's not eating much...but hopefully that means something good.

Last edited:

Visit our friends