Stomach is Blue - Scared

prettyinpink

I just got back

They did a fecal test on her (she pooped in her carrier for some reason...she hasn't pooped for days for me, maybe the hand warmers made her nice and warm to poop), he examined her for about 10mins and he says he's not sure what's wrong but he's pretty sure she's just jammed up and needs to poop. He says he doesn't 'think' it's a rupture or anything. So hopefully he's right.

He asked me when the last time she ate was, I said Sat and she's a very stubborn eater. So he gave me some meds/food to force feed to her (not too happy I have to do that :( ) which contains some stuff to fatten her up and to get her to eat. Then he also told me to do some warm soaks 2 times a day for 15-20mins (she's going to hate that :p )
Sooo now I'm sure Fae will be pleased will me over the next few days.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts guys :) Hopefully it's just poop and she'll be good.

roger

I just got back

They did a fecal test on her (she pooped in her carrier for some reason...she hasn't pooped for days for me, maybe the hand warmers made her nice and warm to poop), he examined her for about 10mins and he says he's not sure what's wrong but he's pretty sure she's just jammed up and needs to poop. He says he doesn't 'think' it's a rupture or anything. So hopefully he's right.

He asked me when the last time she ate was, I said Sat and she's a very stubborn eater. So he gave me some meds/food to force feed to her (not too happy I have to do that :( ) which contains some stuff to fatten her up and to get her to eat. Then he also told me to do some warm soaks 2 times a day for 15-20mins (she's going to hate that :p )
Sooo now I'm sure Fae will be pleased will me over the next few days.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts guys :) Hopefully it's just poop and she'll be good.

Hey pretty- I might want to reconsider force feeding,thats pretty drastic imo. Is she brumating hence the lack of appetite.My concern is if she's brumating because of the winter and u force feed her is that gonna make matters worse? U said she lost weight ,how much are we talking about ? a gram or two ?u said she ate sat? thats not bad.I agree she might be plugged up and some good soaks are ok.Try castor oil and put a drop on her snout.If its just the fact that she needs to poop ,Im concerned why hes prescribing meds? I hope it all works out.

Last edited:

fl_orchidslave

Rather than force feeding, all you have to do is put some of the mixture on their little lizard lips around the sides and a dab in the mustache area :sombrero: and she will lick it off. Force feeding is stressful for leos and should be an absolute last resort. Olive or pharmacy grade mineral oil works well to get them pooping but it sounds like she's done her business. What kind of meds were given and for what diagnosis?

prettyinpink

Roger...I never said she lost weight, no she's not brumating. I also never said her eating very little was a problem, I said she's not a big eater. You're reading my posts too fast...
Not to be rude, but just this once you may not know what you're talking about. I mean come on, I took her to a know knoledable vet, WHO I was recommended to by NOT only Robin herself also many others...and I'm sure knows what he's talking about. I didn't drive over an hour for no reason. I'm not going to start jumping around and put oil on her after the vet told me what I need to do. It's just VERY fustrating when you act like you're a vet, I didn't say anything even though I wanted to until you made this post...AFTER I already talked to a vet you're telling me he's wrong. YES not all vets are 100% right...but I'm sorry...I'll just stop while I'm ahead.

My fault for not wording what he said correctly.

Sorry guys I phrased that COMPLETLY wrong. I wrote it real fast, and couldn't sleep last night so I just wrote it real fast. Lemme rephrase.

He gave me some stuff to SUPPLEMENT with her diet to fatten her up. He says it'll help me fatten her up and get her appetite up, also some oils in it to make her poop. ONLY 1/2 ml so it's not like I'm 'feeding' her a lot. I meant to wrote meds like 'meds' to be funny...but it didnt' come out that way.
And I guess it isn't force feeding, I just picture it that way because she's not eating it by herself. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks Robin! I took her to westgate - they were great over there :) I'm glad I went. Not sure who you get, but I got Dr. Rick Lusk. He was great!

fl_orchidslave thanks! I'll try that when I'm giving it to her. The vet tech was suppose to show me how but decided she didn't want to :( I've 'force fed' my bearded dragon before, but he's super easy...and probably completly different.

I'm sure she's not going to be too happy these next few days :(

Last edited:

prettyinpink

Rather than force feeding, all you have to do is put some of the mixture on their little lizard lips around the sides and a dab in the mustache area :sombrero: and she will lick it off. Force feeding is stressful for leos and should be an absolute last resort. Olive or pharmacy grade mineral oil works well to get them pooping but it sounds like she's done her business. What kind of meds were given and for what diagnosis?

Again I wrote 'meds' by mistake. But I was given "Prescription Diet a/d Canine/Feline Critical Care' Yea dog/cat...I was suprised when I saw it too.

robin

Roger...I never said she lost weight, no she's not brumating. I also never said her eating very little was a problem, I said she's not a big eater. You're reading my posts too fast...
Not to be rude, but just this once you may not know what you're talking about. I mean come on, I took her to a know knoledable vet, WHO I was recommended to by NOT only Robin herself also many others...and I'm sure knows what he's talking about. I didn't drive over an hour for no reason. I'm not going to start jumping around and put oil on her after the vet told me what I need to do. It's just VERY fustrating when you act like you're a vet, I didn't say anything even though I wanted to until you made this post...AFTER I already talked to a vet you're telling me he's wrong. YES not all vets are 100% right...but I'm sorry...I'll just stop while I'm ahead.

Sorry guys I phrased that COMPLETLY wrong. I wrote it real fast, and couldn't sleep last night so I just wrote it real fast. Lemme rephrase.

He gave me some stuff to SUPPLEMENT with her diet to fatten her up. He says it'll help me fatten her up and get her appetite up, also some oils in it to make her poop. ONLY 1/2 ml so it's not like I'm 'feeding' her a lot. I meant to wrote meds like 'meds' to be funny...but it didnt' come out that way.
And I guess it isn't force feeding, I just picture it that way because she's not eating it by herself. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks Robin! I took her to westgate - they were great over there :) I'm glad I went. Not sure who you get, but I got Dr. Rick Lusk. He was great!

fl_orchidslave thanks! I'll try that when I'm giving it to her. The vet tech was suppose to show me how but decided she didn't want to :( I've 'force fed' my bearded dragon before, but he's super easy...and probably completly different.

yeah, dr. lusk is excellent. he knows his stuff. i am not surprised about the prescription diet at all. even the "gecko soup" calls for this. so dr. lusk is right on target.

roger

yeah my apologies I misread your post.Maybe I was reading stuff into your post that wasnt there.When I read "force feeding" I got anxious lol. Hope she's ok.And by the way im wrong on more than several occasions LOL

Last edited:

prettyinpink

lol NP.

I just gave her a 15min soak. She was great...I'm lucky that she's the one that got 'sick'. She just sat on my hand for the full 15mins. Now my hands are all wrinkled. Waiting for her to warm up a little bit before I try feeding her that stuff...I'm kinda nervous, hopefully she'll open up for me.

roger

lol NP.

I just gave her a 15min soak. She was great...I'm lucky that she's the one that got 'sick'. She just sat on my hand for the full 15mins. Now my hands are all wrinkled. Waiting for her to warm up a little bit before I try feeding her that stuff...I'm kinda nervous, hopefully she'll open up for me.

Does the vet think her intestines are plugged up?she'll b ok.

Last edited:

robin

lol NP.

dab it on her nose and let her lick it off. make sure you do not get any in her nostrils

prettyinpink

@ Roger - I'm not sure...he didn't really say exactly. Just said she needs to poop.

@ Robin - I had someone else help me feed her. I couldn't do it by myself. She wouldn't open up.

fl_orchidslave

All good news Erica, thanks for clearing up all the info :) You are very fortunate to have a qualified herp vet within a reasonable distance, mine is a little over 2hrs drive but if we had to go right away, we would. Its especially good when you can get a referral from another animal keeper so your mind can be at complete ease with their diagnosis.

As you become more experienced in keeping geckos, it will be more natural for you to administer prescribed treatments. Everyone is a bit nervous at first, and afraid of hurting the animal. You will also learn what does what to take care of minor issues. I have confidence you will grow into a wonderful, loving gecko keeper and full of knowledge to share with others :)

prettyinpink

All good news Erica, thanks for clearing up all the info :) You are very fortunate to have a qualified herp vet within a reasonable distance, mine is a little over 2hrs drive but if we had to go right away, we would. Its especially good when you can get a referral from another animal keeper so your mind can be at complete ease with their diagnosis.

As you become more experienced in keeping geckos, it will be more natural for you to administer prescribed treatments. Everyone is a bit nervous at first, and afraid of hurting the animal. You will also learn what does what to take care of minor issues. I have confidence you will grow into a wonderful, loving gecko keeper and full of knowledge to share with others :)

Thanks so much, that's very sweet of you! :)

prettyinpink

Yay! She's pooping! Looks like the soaks are working. She took a huge one! Wonder how long it'll take her belly to stop being blue...he didn't say.

Amazing the things we reptile owners get excited over :main_rolleyes:

Visit our friends