URGENT, NEGLECTED LEOPARD GECKO HELP

MushuSpyro

Today I brought a female leo for my birthday off a guy on preloved.
she's approximately 1 year old, mack snow enigma.

She is VERY underweight, so bad you can see her leg joints, and her tail is very skinny.
She can't support her body, and I'm not sure if it's MBD or where she hasn't eaten.
She walks like she's drunk, and isn't alert or anything.

There also appears to be rough skin on her head, but it doesn't look like stuck shed.

I will be able to post Pics tomorrow.

I am going to take her to the vets when bank holiday period is over...

IS there anything I can do for her in the meantime?

MushuSpyro

931238_254029568073646_1303504804_n.jpg 431082_254025454740724_522743256_n.jpg
Her back is arched, so she doesn't look so skinny here.. But her tail is really thin, and you can see her bones in her legs. The cam quality isn't that good, I'll get better ones of her condition later

MushuSpyro

Yeah :/ Going to take her to the vets, is it too far advanced to save her?
and should I call the RSPCA on the breeder? he denies mistreating her and says all the others are the same and 'healthy'

Ozy

DEFINITELY turn this guy in! IF all of his others are the same as this one and he thinks they are "healthy" he needs to have them taken away! I think only a vet can tell you if the MBD is too advanced to save her.

MushuSpyro

Okay thank you for the reply.
Apparently he's also selling them to shops...
I have his address and name, so once the vets has confirmed what's wrong, I'm going to call the RSPCA.
I'm happy Cynder came to me instead, most people would of turned their noses up :l

B&B Geckos

Happy bday! IMO this gecko is thin, not famished. Most of us have fat or obese geckos, as we're overfeeding. So this one looks thin in relation. Geckos in the wild would look more or less like this one. However, the fact that its not very responsive and that it cannot support its weight is of concern. It also seems to have some skin issue, likely vitamin deficiency. Make sure to provide supplements and water. It's unlikely that she'll eat day 1 in her new home. Also make sure to quarantine for 90 days.
It's so important that as a community we advocate for all herps by boycotting against breeders or pet shops that treat animals inhumanely or irresponsibly. By doing so we disable them, by buying from them we enable them and give them no reason to mprove their practices.

Last edited:

lisa127

Happy bday! IMO this gecko is thin, nut not famished. Most of us have fat or obese geckos, as we're overfeeding. So this one looks thin in relation. Geckos in the wild would look more or less like this one. However, the fact that its not very responsive and that it cannot support its weight is of concern. It also seems to have some skin issue, likely vitamin deficiency. Make sure to provide supplements and water. It's unlikely that she'll eat day 1 in her new home. Also make sure to quarantine for 90 days.
It's so important that as a community we advocate for all herps by boycotting against breeders or pet shops that treat animals inhumanely. By doing so we disable them, by buying from them we enable them and give them no reason it improve their practices.

Great answer and I agree with all of this.

MushuSpyro

I agree, she's not severely underweight, but still underweight. I guess I just freaked out and worried too much, and obviously since my other leo is nice and plump I just assumed she was 'severely' underweight. I'm going to get the supps when I go to the vets tomorrow, I would get some today but it's bank holiday and my nearest stores doesn't sell these things, just calci-dust. I gave her a couple of millworms on day one, and she gulped them down so fast. I realize that I shouldn't have fed her straight away though, as I'm unaware of what sort of condition she's in, and how it could affect her. I have her in quarantine also.

And I completely agree.
I called the RSPCA y/d, the breeder got really rude and horrible towards me when I asked him if he ever took her or any of them to the vets. I told him what she might have, and he was like "I'm not wasting money on taking them to the vets over some stupid bone problem".

He told me all his gecko's are the same physically. So, after all the rude things he had said to me, and providing me with enough evidence to build a case, I called the RSPCA.

I also told them he refused to refund my money, the money I was going to use towards vet bills and treatment. RSPCA said they may be able to help me with the funds, and/or get my money back.

The pic he showed me of her before I purchased, was not her. When he arrived with her, she was in a box, and I couldn't see her condition properly till I got home and inspected further.

I am furious with this man, the way he treats animals, the way he spoke to me, and the fact he is clearly uneducated. And, he's in his late 40's also. I wouldv'e thought he'd done his research on illness and such before breeding.

B&B Geckos

The fact that it is eating is a good sign. Dust its feeders and make calcium available for it to lick. Skin issues are typically related to vit A defficiency, make sure that this is one of the ingredients in your supps (repashys calcium plus contains it). You can also go to the business inquiry forum and post to warn others.

Last edited:

Embrace Calamity

I so hope this poor little thing makes it. :( I also hope that guy's house burns down with him inside (after all animals are confiscated, of course). I would go with Repashy for this little one. It's got higher levels of D3 and A than Reptivite, and this little one could use all the help she can get. If it hasn't been said already, I'd periodically put her in a humid hide (since she probably can't go in on her own). She's surely extremely dehydrated, so that could help.

~Maggot

MushuSpyro

Update: she's not eating, she has only eaten once since being with me. The vet reckons that the best option is to put her to sleep. She said no matter how much treatment is given, cynder will still suffer... So I'm left with this decision... And i don't know what to do..

Embrace Calamity

There are options for reptiles that don't eat. Oxbow Carnivore Care is a pastey kind of mixture that has all kinds of nutrients. So the fact that he won't eat on his own doesn't make him a lost cause, but if the vet (a knowledgeable herp vet, I hope?) thinks the MBD is too far advanced, then maybe it would be best to have the vet put him down. Hopefully someone here is experienced with advanced MBD like this and could give you an idea if she's beyond saving.

~Maggot

MushuSpyro

I assumed the vet I saw was experienced, but wasn't. They didn't tell me till i paid. Anyway, I'm seeing the actual herp vet Friday. So far everyone on the forums have been more helpful.

MushuSpyro

Update:
Just got back from the vets.
She is in the late stages of MBD, and it's said the possible causes were husbandry and neglect issues.
Cynder has been given liquid calcium to have once a day. The vet weighed her, and she weighs up at 29.

I have a fecal exam booked for next week. The vet is happy with me for providing the correct set up, food etc.

Cynders legs won't get better, and may break soon. But I am going to provide a low % uv light for her, and Nutrobol as well as liquid calcium. The vet is happy with Cynder eating Mealworms. Cynder is doing better now, she is becoming alert, eating and moving more.

So I am taking it week by week to see how Cynder progresses, and then I'll take it from there and see how she goes
smile.png

Also have xray booked as well.

MushuSpyro

Update:

Cynder has stopped eating again. She's also become very lethargic and hasn't moved from one spot for the past few days, apart from when I give her liquid calcium..

Visit our friends