My hatching temperature recipe

Deko Gecko

This is how i play with temperature to produce my hathlings ....
Females
-set the incubator to 81• before females lay eggs
- incubate for 3 weeks at 81•
-4 week turn it up to 86•
- turn up 1• daily until 90•

males
- 90• all the way!!!

Happy breeding......
I have produce all my hatchlings with this method, i mean this is just talking about temp... And they have always hatch realy nice!

robin

also from incubating for females this way, do you get a high male hatch rate? compared to lets says an 82 degrees the entire time? also any deformities?

Deko Gecko

Yes, raicing the temperature afect the color of the animal..... I have a 100% hatch rate
using this method but you must NOT incubate higher than 90 degrees this could kill the embrio. Incubating at 82 degrees the entire time will make the incubating slower and dont encourege the embrio to produce "menalina" (how i call it in spanish) that is wat estimulate the high colours in hatchlings. PS. English is not my first language....

Temperature in Leopard Geckos affect the gender and colour of your hatchlings.....

robin

julian, english is my first language and you type it beter than me.
"menalina" = melanin as in skin melanin (i think)

i am seriously rough on my spanish LOL

Olimpia

La Española
De donde eres que hablas Espanol?
I didn't know you could go all the way up to 90*. That's good to know. I knew you could raise the temp once the embryo has set on the gender, but I didn't know you could turn it up that high.

Deko Gecko

90* is the top limit !!!!!! raising temp. more!!!! will be fatal... keep that in mind!
P.S. I am from Puerto Rico..... sshhhh this is my big secret!

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I do basically the same exact thing, only difference is I incubate at 80F for the first 3 weeks for females. Then up to 90 for the rest of the incubation period. Gives you nice, light colored females just about every time. Same thing with the males too, 90F 24/7. Only thing it doesn't work with are snows, because they seem to be non-tsd. Excellent hatch rate using this method.

Gregg M

Registered Member
This is how i play with temperature to produce my hathlings ....
Females
-set the incubator to 81• before females lay eggs
- incubate for 3 weeks at 81•
-4 week turn it up to 86•
- turn up 1• daily until 90•

So in other words you have a separate incubator for each set of eggs layed???

If you have mutiple females and each female lays a clutch every two weeks how can you apply your "recipe" to every set of eggs you get???:main_robin:

Landen

LSReptiles
that's why you have to plan your season and breed each female to time the laying just right. Keeping acurate records will help show each females average laying date. Plus anytime I have a lapse I just leave the container in the tank in a spot that is 81-83 degrees until the incubator is free. Then move it to the cooler incubator and start again.

robin

that's why you have to plan your season and breed each female to time the laying just right. Keeping acurate records will help show each females average laying date. Plus anytime I have a lapse I just leave the container in the tank in a spot that is 81-83 degrees until the incubator is free. Then move it to the cooler incubator and start again.
your females ovulate on command?

Gregg M

Registered Member
This can not work even if you have only one female... There will be a time laps of two weeks between clutches... You can only do this if you are incubating only one clutch in an incubator...

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
Controlling the color this way is in my opinion misleading and unethical. This is not genetic coloring, and when the gecko is cooled, or stressed, the melanin comes right back.

jermh1

my incubator "shh dont tell the gecko's its actually a wine cooler" has 3 shelves which stabalize 2 -3 deg defferent from each other, I guess I could make it work. so far there is room for 30+ eggs on each shelf, so I havent had to move from the shelf with the probe, Ill have to move some to the top shelf and see what happens. As for now and most of the time, I have some about to hatch and some I just put in, no way I could go playing around with the thermostat.

Landen

LSReptiles
Controlling the color this way is in my opinion misleading and unethical. This is not genetic coloring, and when the gecko is cooled, or stressed, the melanin comes right back.

Some people may feel that way, but in my opinion, why would you not do everything possible to increase the potential of your gecko's? Isn't that what we all do in some sort of way? It happens like that in nature when the weather and temps change so why not do it in captivity to maximize their potential? Just my opinion.

Visit our friends