Problem with our breeder male and new female?

Jordan

They sold us our male. We went in there with our first female along for the ride and told them we were interested in breeding. He sold us the male which he introduced to our female right in the store, and we took the two home in the same carrier. Our male was apparently their breeder (they are now breeding other geckos instead)

woh woh woh! thats terrible of the breeder.

he introduced your female right then and there!?!?!
So he could of potentially infected your gecko... and you could of potentially infected his...

If your female had a disease, and gave it to his male, what would he have done if you didnt buy it, and he put it back with his collection?

Or they had mated right then and there? Or a fight broke out and your female damaged his male or vice versa, one of you would be paying...

I mean customer service is everything... but that was a daft and risky move by the guy.

smsararas2

That was all of my thoughts going through my head Jordan. And, who takes their gecko for a car ride. I am sorry but that is stressful for them to be out of their own environment. They are crepsecular and do not like being out during the day. It is not a good idea for them.

KelliH

Yyyyyesssssss buuuuuuut...

I have often found that the things people ask and the way they ask them can reveal what they need to know, which isn't always going to be the same thing as what they want to know.

It can be a bit of a puzzler, really. Give 'em the information they asked for or give 'em the information that they didn't ask for but look like they can use? What if the information they asked for is dangerous or incomplete without the rest of it? What should be done when they refuse to listen to anything except responses that say what they expected to hear?

It gets even more complicated if some of the responders end up arguing about what's right and wrong but there's kind of a consensus in this case, which should perhaps be taken by the questioner as a strong hint.

Well you know, I try to always see the good in everything. :p

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
That was all of my thoughts going through my head Jordan. And, who takes their gecko for a car ride. I am sorry but that is stressful for them to be out of their own environment. They are crepsecular and do not like being out during the day. It is not a good idea for them.

We stopped at the reptile shop where we bought our male on the way home from buying our female.

sunshinegeckos

so instead of getting used to having one gecko you decided to go right into having 2? And I see your interested in adopting some that have major issues. You dont know much about healthy geckos without going right into having one that has major issues. Sllooowwww down a little. Learn about them first before you jump right into breeding or taking care of a sick animal. There is no rush to breed if that is what you want but you need to know everything you can possibly can before you even start. I am very surprised that they introduced your female to their male right then and there.

JordanAng420

Okay...I REALLY hate being ignored.... for like, the FOURTH time....I want to know why the OP wants to breed these geckos. And I want to know why it needs to be done immediately.

Last edited:

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
We purchased the second one because: the original female was supposed to be my girlfriends., then I decided I wanted one too. The shop introduced us to the idea of breeding them and it sounded like a good hobby. We were both intrigued by the creatures and have a lot of free time so we went for it.

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
We purchased the second one because: the original female was supposed to be my girlfriends., then I decided I wanted one too. The shop introduced us to the idea of breeding them and it sounded like a good hobby. We were both intrigued by the creatures and have a lot of free time so we went for it.

So WHY do they need to breed RIGHT NOW? Why not wait until next season AFTER you get the basics down and then possibly maybe think about breeding?

Patience is key and breeding as soon as you get ANY new pet and not even knowing the basics about care is just asking for trouble down the road IMO.

sunshinegeckos

you know with 3 females you can get roughly 45 babies (that is saying they all breed and lay fertile eggs and they all hatch etc etc) What are you going to do with those babies? What are you going to do if you have a female or 2 or 3 that has problem with egg binding or sick hatchlings? Breeding is not a hobby. Owning geckos is a hobby but breeding is not and it takes more than just time to do it right.

JordanAng420

Now I understand a bit better...may I suggest you use that free time to reserch and enjoy your animals for a while before you decide to breed? It is truly a wonderfuly hobby to get in to, however, it seems there are a bit of husbandry issues you need to address before you decide to breed. Its great that you managed to pick up such healthy looking geckos...lets keep them that way...that is the whole point of quarantine...

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
As for the babies, the first round are pretty well spoken for by friends and family, any extra will go to Pinellas Reptiles. I understand the reasons for learning first, but I am the type of person who likes to jump in and learn from my mistakes. This round will not be something that is done for profit. Once we get the swing of things and are successful for a season or two, we will look into new females to breed (being more selective as to breed for profit).

Also, to let you know, we have decided to rehome the smallest of the three females and posted her locally on craigslist. The two larger females have already been "done" by our male, so we will let nature take its course with them (for the most part). Hopefully we have no complications, but we have done a bit of researching and now know the possibilities.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I understand the reasons for learning first, but I am the type of person who likes to jump in and learn from my mistakes.

That's fine if you are collecting stamps or building birdhouses, but it is an absolutely disgusting attitude to take when living animals will suffer for your mistakes. How do you think it is even remotely acceptable to torture defenseless animals for the sake of "learning" when you could spare them the inevitable suffering by spending a little time researching and doing it right from the start?

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
That's fine if you are collecting stamps or building birdhouses, but it is an absolutely disgusting attitude to take when living animals will suffer for your mistakes. How do you think it is even remotely acceptable to torture defenseless animals for the sake of "learning" when you could spare them the inevitable suffering by spending a little time researching and doing it right from the start?

From what I understood I wasn't doing anything that didn't occur in their natural habitat, other than incubating the eggs rather than hoping for natural births.

fl_orchidslave

As for the babies, the first round are pretty well spoken for by friends and family, any extra will go to Pinellas Reptiles.

Sadly, I suspected this to be the motive all along. When the time comes to take any "extras" into a pet store that has expressed interest (while selling you something) don't be surprised if they don't need any leopard geckos. The store you're dealing with buys animals from other vendors at shows they set up at. They do a lot of shows. Nothing wrong with that, it's the nature of the business if you want to sell something your don't breed. They might, but there's certainly no guarantee that they'll take your geckos. You may end up housing and feeding them for some time........

sunshinegeckos

I know this reptile store, they have their own breeding colony. Plus they get more from all of the shows they go to. They don't need anyone elses geckos. Plus you cant sell them to them without a permit. You can donate them to them but not sell them. Just a FYI. There is so much wrong with this.....

Russ S

Re-Member
This round will not be something that is done for profit. Once we get the swing of things and are successful for a season or two, we will look into new females to breed (being more selective as to breed for profit).

Most breeders will spend much more than they will ever make breeding geckos. If you are doing this to "make a profit" you are likely in the wrong hobby.

Visit our friends