Problem with our breeder male and new female?

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
As for the babies, the first round are pretty well spoken for by friends and family, any extra will go to Pinellas Reptiles. I understand the reasons for learning first, but I am the type of person who likes to jump in and learn from my mistakes.

Translation: I'm going to rely on people who also have no experience to keep the reptiles that they likely know nothing about. I understand everything is saying that I should wait and do more research but I'll risk the lives of my animals so that I can potentially gain some experience that could be gained by spending 6 months on these message boards listening.

Got ya, I can cross this post off as useful reading.

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
I know this reptile store, they have their own breeding colony. Plus they get more from all of the shows they go to. They don't need anyone elses geckos. Plus you cant sell them to them without a permit. You can donate them to them but not sell them. Just a FYI. There is so much wrong with this.....

I understand this. We don't plan on selling them, we are donating them and have already spoken with them about the subject. We also recently donated the big tokay we found in our house.

Most breeders will spend much more than they will ever make breeding geckos. If you are doing this to "make a profit" you are likely in the wrong hobby.
Not in this for profit. In this for the fun. I only mentioned profit as in terms of eventually being able to breed to cover upkeep costs, not profit for personal gain.

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
To let everyone know, Female #3 (The smallest) has been rehomed to a good home. We dropped her off, and this couple literally has huge tanks everywhere, incubators and racks all over, and tons of reptiles and small animals. They apparently breed leos, red beardeds, regular beardeds, iguanas, frogs, turtles, and hampsters. We spent about an hour at their house and he gave us a lot of advice, and he showed us quite a few of his set ups. I am happily sure she went to a great home.

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
7 pages of advice.....SEVEN!! Most posts are lucky to get 7 reply's, let alone 7 pages! There are quite a few good people here who are concerned with what you are doing. I hope you realize and appreciate that.

IGNORANCE
–noun
The state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

STUBBORN
-adjective
Refusing to move or change one's opinion's or idea's

HOPELESS
-adjective
Having no possibility of solution (applies to this post)

And last but not least, something from the Cambridge dictionary of idioms.....
JUMP THE GUN
To do something too soon, especially without thinking carefully about it.

I think that these words pretty much sum up this post and I personally don't see any reason to keep it going despite everyone's monumental efforts to stop what has already been put into motion.
I hope that your current leo's and the babies to come all end up healthy and well taken care of. Hopefully you realize that everyone who posted here was only trying to give you sound advice through experience and that they all care about the welfare of the animals involved FIRST and foremost. I hope you have LOTS of disposable income because breeding as well as the final product is far from cheap. I also pray that they end up with knowledgeable caring animal people, not with "family and friends" because it's convenient. Best of luck to the OP. Your going to need it.

Adinar

Most breeders will spend much more than they will ever make breeding geckos. If you are doing this to "make a profit" you are likely in the wrong hobby.

Exactally, prepare to spend alot on vet bills (especially with how this is all going thus far), food for them, an incubator, housing for the hatchlings (No, you can't throw them in 1 tank and expect things to be ok and they can't go in with the adults.)

There rarely if ever is a profit in breeding. You'll be lucky to break even if that.

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
I have spent a few thousand this year for starting breeding. It takes a lot of money, and a good vet. I am lucky to have money to spend on this hobby. I know you are trying to get the permit loop hole but they are cracking down on that. Advice, register a breeding and resale license BEFORE you register a website with intent to sell. That's how they get you quick. Good luck.

sunshinegeckos

and what happens when you go in there with dozens of babies and they say that they have to many? Also I am not sure but I dont think they can take that many as donation. It will look kind of fishing that someone just gave away dozens of baby leopard geckos. Because really who would do that? (besides you of course) but anyways I give up because obviously no matter what anyone says on here you are going to do what you are going to do. I just hope your animals dont have to suffer for your enjoyment.

and just because im stubborn

Not in this for profit. In this for the fun. I only mentioned profit as in terms of eventually being able to breed to cover upkeep costs, not profit for personal gain.

It will take YEARS and YEARS to even break even if you ever do. 50% of businesses fail in the first year and 95% fail in 5 years. And yes I know you say your doing this as a "hobby" but if you want to make a profit (even to just cover upkeep costs) its a business.

Last edited:

IslaReina

IMO, You won't make money. Plain and simple. You don't know the morphs of your geckos, and no one who knows anything about leopard geckos will buy mystery geckos from you. I'm guessing your family and friends, who don't know anything about geckos either, will be your only customers. Breeding takes so much money, times, space, care... etc., the list goes on forever. With just two females, you have to be prepared for 24 geckos just in the first season. You should expect 0 though if you don't know anything about ovulation, which could mean your geckos could kill each other before they ever get a chance to breed. You need 24 different cages, an incubator, food for now 27 geckos, time to feed each one and give each one water, and a way to heat 24 different cages to the proper temperatures. And a way to check the temps. If even one of those things goes wrong, you will be dealing with a ton of deaths. But hey, if you're just in it to learn... you don't care, right? >.> Please, for the sake of your geckos, no breeding yet.

I suggest getting rid of the eggs that are growing in your females for the sake of the leopard gecko population. I also suggest learning about morphs before you EVER breed, because you have to know what you are going to be... "donating."

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Wow... that's about all I can say with out risking getting banned.... poor geckos... and there are times when igrorence is NOT bliss...

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
Well, we do know what we have now. The reptile shop we bought our male at ID'd him as a high yellow hypo, our large female is an Albino Bell. The newest female is just a normal.

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
We were told our newest is just "a normal leopard gecko"

They also mentioned something about tangerine. High yellow hypo tangerine maybe?

You be the judge...Here is what we have:

Male:
2qauwxf.jpg

Female 1 (Bell Albino):
fneln8.jpg

Female 2:
2m6vqmg.jpg

Visit our friends