10 Gallon Setup... What Do You Think?

AreUaBadfish2

Here's my 10 gallon setup for my Leo. It's nothing extravagant like some of the vivs I've seen on here (big ups to the people who have dedicated that kind of time to their Leos), but its more than adequate for a young Leo IMO, and thats what I care about. I guess I'm really putting this up for other new Leo owners who might have questions about how they should set up their vivs, and I feel that for a young Leo, this type of setup works well. I'd love to hear what you think!

Thanks!

bettafish

Ohai There!
Looks a little plain, but a good setup! I plan on using a 10g too when I get my first leo :) It'll likely be young, like yours.

SudeepHArya

I like it although I am a LEO Numbskull getting my first one at the whiteplains show this weekend I thought you should keep the cool hide as far away from the warm hide.

Good luck you know what they say simplicity is bliss.....

AreUaBadfish2

Looks a little plain, but a good setup! I plan on using a 10g too when I get my first leo :) It'll likely be young, like yours.

Like I said, I know its plain, but a 10g has limited space, so I don't have many options for what I can put in it... I plan on getting a 20g long soon. And as much as I didn't want paper towels initially, they really don't look bad at all. I figured out once I put it in the viv that the texture looks similar to sand and its so easy to maintain, and best of all, its CHEAP, haha. I may continue to use paper towels for the rest of my life but I may purge for some slate tile one day.

PS - I just got my Leo a week and a half ago, my first as well :)

Last edited:

AreUaBadfish2

I like it although I am a LEO Numbskull getting my first one at the whiteplains show this weekend I thought you should keep the cool hide as far away from the warm hide.

Good luck you know what they say simplicity is bliss.....

I feel like a long as the hide you intend to be the cool hide isnt over the UTH you'll be fine. Location is irrelevant, aside from being over the UTH. And you're right, simplicity is bliss, I don't need anything crazy for my Leo, as long as he is happy.

AreUaBadfish2

I like how its set up in the picture, rather than switching the humid and cool hide. I tried switching, and I think the feng shui is a little better setup like the picture. But thats just my opinion.

I figured out once I put it in the viv that the texture looks similar to sand and its so easy to maintain, and best of all, its CHEAP, haha. I may continue to use paper towels for the rest of my life but I may purge for some slate tile one day.

A 20 g long tank only needs 10 6"x6" tiles to cover the floor. I got mine at Lowe's for 98 cents a piece. So it won't cost you an arm and a leg to upgrade. :main_cool3:

AreUaBadfish2

A 20 g long tank only needs 10 6"x6" tiles to cover the floor. I got mine at Lowe's for 98 cents a piece. So it won't cost you an arm and a leg to upgrade. :main_cool3:

Oh man, I had no idea that they were that cheap! I may get some this weekend if thats the case! It may be harder to find ones that'll fit cleanly in a 10g, which is what I have now, but I'll do some measuring and figure something out, paper towel is just sooo easy. Did you put a thin layer of sand (or anything else) underneath your tile to hold it in place or just put it straight on the glass?

I layered it with paper towels just so it wouldn't be right against the glass. The hardest part is keeping the tiles from getting too hot with a UTH. I just splurged and got a thermostat since the tiles on the UTH were getting up to 107.

AreUaBadfish2

Its better to have the humid hide on the warm side.. dwould you want to get into a cold wet mossy hide?

Everywhere I've read said it doesnt matter, but I wondered the same thing lol. I feel like with the significant humidity difference it feels hotter inside than what the thermometer says

Last edited:

AreUaBadfish2

I layered it with paper towels just so it wouldn't be right against the glass. The hardest part is keeping the tiles from getting too hot with a UTH. I just splurged and got a thermostat since the tiles on the UTH were getting up to 107.

I'll look into it. My UTH with just the paper towels heats them to about 92 degrees with a +/- of about 3 degrees. Does the tile really heat up THAT much?!

Mine did, but I don't have much airflow under my tank. If your tank is on a stand which allows for that, then you probably won't have a problem.

AreUaBadfish2

Mine did, but I don't have much airflow under my tank. If your tank is on a stand which allows for that, then you probably won't have a problem.

no stand but the edge with the uth is hanging off about 2-3 inches to allow for a little airflow. i'll just play around with different things and see what works.

Thanks for the input!

Visit our friends