10 gallon VS 16 Qt tub

theCREECH

I’ve been really confused about cages lately. There are so many debates and opinions about what a gecko needs for cage size. Some people say that ten gallon is enough, but a little small and that 20 gallon would be better. But breeders seem to keep their adults separately in 16-15 quart tubs. I know that it all depends on whether or not you want lots of geckos or just a couple. If you only have a couple then one or two larger cages is easier to handle. If you have lots of geckos then maybe you want the dialer care to be easier so you get tubs. Also tubs take up less space in a house. Thus a rack is easier. I did a break down on cage floor space and here’s what I got:

Sterilite 16qt tub: 198 sq inches (give or take some for the taper in the tub)
Sterilite 28 qt tub: 373 sq inches

Standard tank sizes

10 gallon tank: 216 sq inches
20 gallon tank: 390 sq inches

How do breeders feel about floor space for a single adult gecko?
Is a 16qt tub enough for an adult gecko?
Is a 10 gallon tank enough?

I’m asking because I would like to build a shelf system that would hold several 10 gallon tanks that are more of a display.

Do some think that 10 gallon is too small because they prefer to make a more elaborate space and 10 gallons just isn’t enough, or is it that the gecko really needs more?

I would love to hear opinions on space for an adult Gecko.

gmaier19

from my experience it depends on the gecko on whether i feel comfortable giving them a small space or not. a couple of my geckos rarely leave their moist hides. for them i dont care about keeping them in a small space. a couple other of my geckos are extremely active and like to climb and walk around often. it really depends.

i think 20 gal is usually better than a 10 gal. if youre trying to find a happy medium, check out the size of a 15 gal. they are a nice. if youre making a display, you should maybe check out some of the reptile cages that are stackable like on http://www.repti-racks.com/. he can put dividers in there so you have two cages for each layer. ive been seriously considering doing that with the 40" x 18" x 14" cage he offers.

Visit our friends