1st customized tank...Opinions needed...

missf410

Hi,

I have been a leo mom since 2006. The tank they reside in is 18"W x 36L x 16H. I'm fin ally at a place in my life where I can spoil them.

Anyways, my point in writing is to get some feedback on customizing my tank. Right now they (Spots and Tangerine) reside in a single level dwelling with one elevated ramp, four hiding spots, a big shallow water dish, and a shallow worm dish. The elevated ramp is a new edition and they love using it. I am currently using reptile carpet, but would like a few suggestions on a new flooring substrate, please.

Can you suggest what materials I can use to build a second or maybe third level in their home? The elevated ramp is made out of NON treated one by fours and covered in reptile carpet to cover any sharp edges. I just don't want to make a mistake. Please any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:

OnlineGeckos

For substrate I'd recommend giving slate tiles a try. They're so cheap to buy, easy to clean, retains heat well, absolutely no impaction problems, no sticky toes/teeth unlike repti carpet, and they give the leopard geckos a natural rock ground feeling. They also look great and natural to boot. It'd be a good upgrade from repti carpet in my opinion.

doublet74

I use vinyl stick tiles. Same benefits as slate. Except they are even on the bottom so they lay flat on the bottom of the tank.

Chosen010

FANATiC
Or you could go the route of many others here and start actually customizing everything with polystyrene. Grout it and seal it with acrylic sealant. There's a custom viv thread here somewhere that has a lot of neat ideas.

I went that route with my 20L the other day. I've got 85% floor coverage with a single custom fitted polystyrene floor grouted and sealed and it looks like sand, but no risk of compaction etc. You can get as creative as you want with that stuff..

Visit our friends