2012’s New Species: Clawed Cave Spiders, Glowing Roaches, Tiny Tarantulas & More

bronxzoofrank

Hi All,
Invertebrate enthusiasts have learned to expect the discovery of fantastic new species on a regular basis. But even old timers such as I were shocked by some that came to light this past year. Large, claw-bearing Cave Robber Spiders, giant bio-luminescent roaches, brilliant arboreal tarantulas, neon-colored freshwater crabs, dive-bombing wasps…the list boggles the mind. Today I’ll highlight a few that have entranced me; please post your own favorites (whether covered here or not) below.
Cave Robber Spider, Trogloraptor marchingtoni
The Cave Robber Spider, arguably 2012’s most “otherworldly” discovery, turned up in a place not known for hiding unseen species – southwestern Oregon. In fact, not a single new spider has been described in the USA in the past 130 years.
Read article here 2012?s New Species include Spiders, Roaches, Millipedes, Wasps That Reptile Blog
Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog That Reptile Blog
Face Book Frank Indiviglio | Facebook

Embrace Calamity

That's so cool! That stuff is fascinating to me. When I heard about all the new animals they found in that dormant volcano in Papua New Guinea a few years ago, I was ecstatic and have wanted to go there since. I absolutely love that spider. Sounds like quite an impressive specimen.

~Maggot

bronxzoofrank

That's so cool! That stuff is fascinating to me. When I heard about all the new animals they found in that dormant volcano in Papua New Guinea a few years ago, I was ecstatic and have wanted to go there since. I absolutely love that spider. Sounds like quite an impressive specimen.

~Maggot

Thanks...yes, there's literally no end to what we might expect from spiders and other inverts; a close friend is an arachnologist - new species described very quickly theses days, and not "merely" on genetics...unexpected lifestyles, etc....Best, Frank

Visit our friends