5.5 gallon too small?

Hankj

I know people use breeding racks and sometimes they seem pretty small in photos. What is considered the minimum for one adult male? How big do they need? What dimensions does one need. If we were talking aquariums, would a 5.5 gallon be too small or do they need a ten?

sunshinegeckos

actually sorry I just looked again and they are 18qt not 16qt the 18 qt tubs are 20.8 " H x 12.5 " W x 18.6 " L but I do know some keep them in anything from 15qt to 24qt tubs

Wowoklol

actually sorry I just looked again and they are 18qt not 16qt the 18 qt tubs are 20.8 " H x 12.5 " W x 18.6 " L but I do know some keep them in anything from 15qt to 24qt tubs

from what I can gather

18qt is only 4.5 gallons.

Sterilite 18qt is: 18-1/8",12-1/4, 7-1/2-

5.5g tank is: 16", 10 1/2", 8"
10g is 20 X 10 X 12

While not very big at all, the 18qt is not much larger. To me, this is for hatchlings. Im housing adults in CB 70s which are 22Hx18Wx34D Pairs and singles.

Last edited:

sunshinegeckos

well the ones I bought were 20.8 " H x 12.5 " W x 18.6 " L I got the latchbox ones. I dont know if that makes a difference. But anyways 10 Gal is much better for an adult then a 5.5 gal

OnlineGeckos

Breeders that use racks and small tubs are really doing that for temporary storage, both to fatten up the geckos and to sell them. They aren't exactly ideal permanent living spaces for adult leopard geckos.

If you are looking to keep an adult leopard gecko as a pet and not for sale, I'd suggest at the minimum 10 gallon, with 20 gallon being the best as it would give them more room and give you better temperature gradient. 5.5 is fine for babies and juveniles, but they will outgrow it in 6-8 months so you may as well buy a 10 instead.

Hankj

It's not a matter of having to buy one. I have a plethora of tanks I was just seeing how much space I could get away with. Cramped quarters. A ten gallon isn't a problem now, but if I wanted to get another male it would be nice to keep them in a smaller tank. But I am not ignoring what you guys are saying and I have him in a ten gallon now (was in a twenty long with another gecko) and I will not house an adult gecko in a 5.5 gallon.

sunshinegeckos

I understand about space. I am about out of space and soon will be getting 3 more geckos so I am going to the rack system. You could keep hatchlings and maybe 1 juvie in a 5.5 gallon.

Visit our friends