a couple leopard gecko questions

mascutt

About ten days ago my new leopard gecko, Lola (who I have had less than a month) had her first shedding under my care. When she turned sort of a dry and milky white, I did my research (came here) and realized she was shedding. She never uses her moist hide, so I packed her favorite hide with moist paper towels and she went in, sniffed/licked them, then started rubbing... 30 minutes later she was shed - and all I had to do was remove one little booty. So now she is starting to take on a dry and little bit dull look once again. When leos are young do they shed more often than older ones?? ie: every two weeks or so? Or is this too soon, and I should be worried. She has also slowed down on her eating habits.

My other question is, whenever I hold her, she does the hand over hand walking and such, but always wants to climb. So after reading that they like to go on your shoulders, I let her get where she was trying to go. Now when she gets to my shoulders she poops on me. Is this part of the taming process? Does this happen to other people? Or is this an indication that Lola actually doesn't like me? LOL... Kinda hard not to take that personally when it happens on a regular occassion.

Thanks for any help/advice you guys might have for me

David :)

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Aw the sholder poop, not that uncommon, it will just take time for her to stop it, or stop letting her walk up there untill she is older.
As for the shedding as geckos are growing quite rapidly when young they have to shed the excess skin so yes they shed more regularly as hatchlings so you shouldn't be worried, you did the right thing by putting moist paper towels in the hide. So congratulations on using common sence many new gecko keepers don't.

Riyo

Pet Human
Well, their reptiles, you can't train them to NOT poop on you. ;) Don't take offense to it, it doesn't mean she hates you or anything. She's just doing what comes naturally. They seem to do it when being handled because of all the movement and activity.

I'm not saying its going to happen to you every time you take her out, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that that was the one and only time.

mascutt

That's what I thought, except that she only does it when she gets to my shoulder; never in my hands. I had read in another forum that, since they pretty much go in the same spot in their tank, that it was a sign of anti-social behavior. She's not threatened, but doesn't want to be handled either. I wasn't sure if they were right or not

Visit our friends