ANyone have pics of how they used heat cable?

sunshinegeckos

I am thinking of using heat cable when I make a rack but all I have seen are the heat tape being used. Does anyone have pictures of heat cable being used and how u u sed it? Thanks!

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
2797703592_7df690fb5a_z.jpg

i cut holes in the end of each shelf to pass the cable through.
HTH!

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
this stuff gets quite a bit hotter than the stuff sold for reptile use. i believe this is 7W/ft. it's plenty to heat the bins and the ones below the top shelf have heat from the top and bottom, so the whole end of the cage gets nice and warm. you'll need to plug it into a thermostat, of course. and that means you'll need a thermostat that accepts grounded plugs. if you use that type of heat cable, that is.

fl_orchidslave

You'll want to make sure contact is good with your tubs. Lids keep them from touching the very back if a shelf. Some tubs have little feet that raise the bottom up just a bit. Before securing it to the surface, I set tubs up and check everything out. Some geckos I do keep warmer than others, like a hatchling that isn't growing quite as fast as its' sibling, or an adult that isn't eating real regular, so it's a good idea to have some with 2 strips.

TranceZ

I'm actually making a rack right now and I called AP (animal plastics) to confirm the heat cable they used to use. It's called easyheat HB03 it's already layered for double cord enough to heat your tubs nicely. Only problem is the cable is hard to find and if you do it can be pretty pricey. I bought mine from a electric supply company and I think for a 9ft cable it cost around $50.

The pic SVT posted is exactly what you want to do. Cut some tracks in every board including the side boards so all the tracks line up to place the heat cable through.

sunshinegeckos

this stuff gets quite a bit hotter than the stuff sold for reptile use. i believe this is 7W/ft. it's plenty to heat the bins and the ones below the top shelf have heat from the top and bottom, so the whole end of the cage gets nice and warm. you'll need to plug it into a thermostat, of course. and that means you'll need a thermostat that accepts grounded plugs. if you use that type of heat cable, that is.

What is the name of the cable you use? I am using a Rheostat right now would that work?

fl_orchidslave

Laney, with that set up would I need one for every shelf or would I just do one continuos chain of flexxwatt and use the clipset at the end?

You can use continuous. I think it's more expensive than cable but does have it's merits. If you have to put holes in a closed unit, cable is much simpler to deal with. Last time I bought cable it was around $23 for 25 or so feet, ZooMed, the last 5 or 6' is not heated to allow for regular plug in.

Are you coming to the Daytona Expo next month? There are some different cage vendors there that you can take a look at how they have them set up for heat. Also plenty of supplies of all kinds from the big companies.

Tico

Are you coming to the Daytona Expo next month? There are some different cage vendors there that you can take a look at how they have them set up for heat. Also plenty of supplies of all kinds from the big companies.[/QUOTE said:
I plan on Going ...and spending MONEY! woot!

Visit our friends