Anything you don't like about using tile substrates?

Latlaw

I'm making the big switch from carpet to tile. I'll start with the two tanks on one thermostat. Any things you don't like about tile? I love the look and it seems very easy to keep clean. I'm not using sand under and in the cracks. Will that be a problem with things getting trapped? I will line the bottom with a layer or two of paper towels, then put the tile on top. I have 5 20 gal longs to do. Any advice? Heading to Home Depot today.

Ratman667

I used grout in the cracks and under the tile. Just make sure to seal it after. The only thing I don't like about it is how heavy it makes the tanks.

sammer021486

I love the tile in my tanks, I really think that I should switch even my 10 gallons to tile. Clean up is really easy in my big tanks, I take the tile out, scrub it with a toothbrush using a vinegar solution, then hit it with the heat gun to dry the tile, once its dry I let it sit to cool down and then its back in the tank. To help the tile stay cleaner longer I use a piece of paper towel in the loo corner.

I would have to say the biggest downfall is the weight. Get just 2 12"x12"x1/4" in a 23.5"x20"x14" melamine tank with 5/8" melamine and your back is breaking

Last edited:

Visit our friends